Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,996   Online: 1132

Shooter
    35mm

Slide film processed as negative

Being 60 I have seen a lot of changes. Decades ago I processed a slide film in color negative chemicals (inception of C-41) and got what I thought I would get: a clear base negative. Recently I did the same with EliteChrome and other positive films and was amazed to get an ORANGE base negative. Why and when was the changeover? When people stopped using slide projectors? I am assuming that if processed in E-6 the newer film would STILL have the orange base? Confused but delighted to be able to print slide film as normally as negative film. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    AFAIK, all E-6 films have a clear base when processed in E-6 chemicals. Any color cast to the film when done in another process is therefore a result of the process and film interacting. I've done cross-processing in recent years, and I don't recall ever getting an orange base that closely matches that of most C-41 films; however, there may have been some tint to the bases. I just don't recall precisely, and I'd need to look up the rolls in question to be sure.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    What I remember is that current and recently discontinued kodak sildes have more less orange base when cross processed while most fuji slides have clear base. Agfas I've used gave various colors. I remember some purple. I suppose that although all are to be processed in same E6 process the details of their technology vary.

I've never paid much attention to the base color. Some fuji's yielded quite different results when printed optically than scanned while for kodak and agfa minilab print shows more less what you can get from optical print. I'd have to dig through my xpro stack to say more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    David, there is a c41 film with a clear base, it is called Rollei Digibase. (The name comes from the assertion that maskless films scan better)
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    David, there is a c41 film with a clear base, it is called Rollei Digibase. (The name comes from the assertion that maskless films scan better)
    I've been trying to find a source of this film in the US with no luck. Freestyle usually carries it but I got an email back from them saying their buyer has no ETA for it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The maskless film is cut and repackaged agfa aerial film:
    http://www.agfa.com/en/sp/solutions/...ilms/index.jsp

From what I read for that particular application color fidelity is secondary to speed, sharpness and resolution and that's the reason the film is maskless.

Easier scanning seems to me as typical maco/rollei marketing bable. I do not scan myself so I do not know if there is some merit to that.

I don't understand though what is OP intention.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin