Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,044   Online: 1047

Shooter
    35mm

Silver retention

I've got an Xp2 developed and printed by IlfordLab recently.
    The prints are somewhat not contrasty; especially in the shadows grain is pronounced, quite visible. I've rated the film 400 as per specs.

Now, how can I diagnose if it's silver retention or underexposure just by looking at grain in shadows?
    Last edited by Alessandro Serrao; 06-27-2010 at 01:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You would need a microscope or do an X-Ray fluorescence analysis to prove retention. I suspect that it is not since it was done by a pro lab.

PE

Shooter
    35mm

This is the actual print from IlfordLab.
    Notice how on the right there's huge grain in the shadow.
    Is the pic underexposed or overexposed?
    I must say that roll of Xp2 expired in jan-2006...
    I'm disappointed with the results anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since it's xp2 film is really a color film, isn't the image on the negative mostly dye and the silver removed during processing?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes but it can happen that chemistry used is expired, underreplenished or is a blix used instead of a bleach and a separate fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One way I guess of telling might be if you have a scanner with ICE. Do a scan and save out as RGBI if you're able, and then look at the IR channel. If there's a pronounced and identifiable image there then there's probably silver in the negative.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately I don't have such scanner.
    I'm beginning to wonder if folks at IlfordLab processed my Xp2 roll in black & white chemistry, not in c41 ones.
    I would define my prints as lacking of contrast, muddy grainy, with blown highlights and grainy shadow, lacking Dmin (black is somewhat a muddy gray).
    The films expired in Jan-2006 but it has been deep-frozen since purchase.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd ask Ilford....Simon Galley, one of their Directors, posts on here regularly, and their customer support is second-to-none, always willing to investigate any issues with their products.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin