Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,825   Posts: 1,581,981   Online: 859

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak SO-297 'Test' film?

Hello everyone, I just won 1000' of Kodak SO-297 film. The auction description said that this is 'Camera Test Film'. The can also states 'No Conforming Film' for 'Camera Test Purposes Only'. Right there I'm thinking it might be a can of junk stock, maybe just a roll of film without any emulsion. Who knows.

In a Kodak document, I see that SO-297 is 'fogged'. And it IS stored in a light tight, sealed container. So hey, maybe it can take an image anyway. Either way, it should be fun to test out.

Does anyone have any information or experience with the Kodak Special Order 297 stock?

Thanks!
    -John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds quite interesting!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could always call kodak if someone here doesn't come up with an answer..........1-(800)-242-2424 Opt. 19
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Scratch Test Leader", says Kodak website. Maybe it has an emulsion, to make it scratch like real film, and maybe it's fogged, but I would bet it's also processed. Can't be sure though.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a quick dig around and apparently the SO stands for special order, and SO-297 is a 'Scratch Test Leader/Film'. It is a available through the lab and post-production division of the Kodak motion picture arm so it is possible it is used to test developing equipment for emulsion scratching somehow. The product is listed here: http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion...Items/misc.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone, I finally had a chance to mess around with the film. My first roll was shot at ISO 100, stand developed in Rodinal 1+100 and minus overexposure worked fine. Realizing that this stuff was real film I figured that it is 'Vision3' and exposed a second roll for ISO 500.

Looks great in black & white, orange cast to the base. Remjet came off fine in the process - to a point. Development removed a good 95%, stop and fixer removed some, a sponge during drying removed the rest. Tiny Remjet particles in my stop and fix ruined them, didn't try to strain - just mixed up a fresh batch. I'm going to try to work with a few homemade stop bath recipes to see if I can get near 100% removal at that stage. I hate to mix up one-shot fixer but will if I need to.

I'm not going to mess with it in a color process until I can get remjet removal down. I know I can strip it in the dark but if I needed to jump through hoops for that I'll stick to Black & White. Though I figure a strainer would work fine, the particles are tiny.. That may be the next test.

'Fogged' appears that there is a minimal etching to the base, almost a frosted look. It scans fine, I haven't enlarged from it yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @JohnMilleker

I know this post is old. But it made me curious... Are there any edge markings on the film? All Kodak motion films have edge marking dictation what master roll it came from as well as where in the roll they were cut from. Do you still have the negatives?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin