Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,001   Online: 837

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

1922 Kodachrome Motion Picture test video

Hi all,

Since there haven't been that many views, I wanted to point out to you all, that I have added a nice small video posted by Kodak on its KodaTube YouTube video channel to the APUG Video Section, showing the "birth" of motion (and in a sense still) color film: A 1922 film test with Kodachrome using silent movie actresses.

With the well chosen music Kodak added to this snippet of history, I find it a quite enthralling video to watch... just imagine, all of these women are likely way dead by now, yet their moving faces and changing expressions captured for us to enjoy after almost a century...

Here it is:

http://www.apug.org/forums/video.php...rome-film-test

By the way, how on earth did I become top-contributor in the Video Section of APUG I seem to remember multiple people asking for this functionality (I wasn't one of them), but now it is there since quite some time, only a few people like myself have added more than one video...

Aren't there more of you who know or find good YouTube videos to add??? Do add them! It is very easy using the "Load Information" button . Just copy the URL into the line, hit the button, and you're done.

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 06-29-2010 at 05:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it the music or my current mood, but these people seemed like from a different world. And in a sense, they are. Thanks for sharing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Totally different from the black and white movies.Is that Mary Pickford? Thanks for the eye opener Marco

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That was an amazing four minutes and thirty-three seconds . Thank you so much for sharing!
    Kind Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is truly wonderful. It looks better than two-strip Technicolor. I wonder what the speed of this material was and why it wasn't used in the movies?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Fascinating, thanks for posting.

What process would this be...bearing in mind that it was the mid-1930's before anything like the Kodachrome which we know was marketed to the public?

(Wasn't there an early amateur "Kodacolor" home movie system which used basically a B&W film, with rotating colored filters over the camera and projector lenses?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Fascinating, thanks for posting.

What process would this be...bearing in mind that it was the mid-1930's before anything like the Kodachrome which we know was marketed to the public?

(Wasn't there an early amateur "Kodacolor" home movie system which used basically a B&W film, with rotating colored filters over the camera and projector lenses?)
    It says quite clearly "Kodachrome" and the video is an official Kodak production, so I think it is a fair assumption that this is true Kodachrome process film. However, development may simply have taken far longer for a viable commercial product.

I wouldn't be surprised PE has something to say about it, although I figure this is even before his time ... so the details may be a bit sketchy.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone know the music by the way? Love it!
    My website

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting that was really cool, I was surprised that they didn't have a scene of her in the famous Kodak Blue and White striped dress.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    From the page at
    http://1000words.kodak.com/post/?ID=2982503

"In these newly preserved tests, made in 1922 at the Paragon Studios in Fort Lee, New Jersey, actress Mae Murray appears almost translucent, her flesh a pale white that is reminiscent of perfectly sculpted marble, enhanced with touches of color to her lips, eyes, and hair. She is joined by actress Hope Hampton modeling costumes from The Light in the Dark (1922), which contained the first commercial use of Two-Color Kodachrome in a feature film. Ziegfeld Follies actress Mary Eaton and an unidentified woman and child also appear.

George Eastman House is the repository for many of the early tests made by the Eastman Kodak Company of their various motion picture film stocks and color processes. The Two-Color Kodachrome Process was an attempt to bring natural lifelike colors to the screen through the photochemical method in a subtractive color system. First tests on the Two-Color Kodachrome Process were begun in late 1914. Shot with a dual-lens camera, the process recorded filtered images on black/white negative stock, then made black/white separation positives. The final prints were actually produced by bleaching and tanning a double-coated duplicate negative (made from the positive separations), then dyeing the emulsion green/blue on one side and red on the other. Combined they created a rather ethereal palette of hues."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin