Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,043   Posts: 1,610,733   Online: 883

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My blix definitely pops the lid on my Paterson Super System 4 tanks if I don't give it some room for expansion.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah I still remember when I used Tetenal chemistry with a blix instead of separate bleach and fix, it really produced some gas at volumes high enough to pop up the lid. I use Jobo tanks ( like http://www.freestylephoto.biz/images/prod/551520.jpg ) and the red lid has that thingie in the middle so when you push it down before processing, the tank has enough extra volume so that the lid doesn't pop out, only the thingie comes up. Did I make myself clear ?

The other interesting feature in blix kits was the funny "viscosity" of the blix. Separate bleach is more like regular water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, the blix is quite viscous which is a problem. It doesn't really come off that well so you lose some after a while. I'm way past the number of rolls I should have been able to run through my 1L kit so it doesn't owe me anything anyways but I'm way down on the 1L of blix that's for sure, you lose some every time you pour it.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like the negs are pretty much a match for the same film (Fuji Pro 160S) processed by the local lab, so I think I did the development ok. Looks like I have to shoot more color neg film in the next several weeks. A good thing. These are from the Bronica with 150mm lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuji-pro-160s2.jpg   fuji-pro-160s3.jpg  

Shooter
    127 Format
    Well, after 27+ rolls and 16 months I think my Arista C-41 is pretty much dead. Oh, it will still develop film and I can get good colors (electronically - with some work) but the negatives don't look right and I'm certain it would be nearly impossible to print optically to RA-4.

I think I'll try it on some C-41 B/W just for fun.

I know this thread is for Tetenal C-41 but I have a feeling that Arista is the same stuff.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 1L Tetenal kit mixed in January is still going strong! My blix and the dev now too are sucking in their guts in the bottles so I clip test before every roll I develop but I just did what must be roll #20 or something (losing count) of K'odak Gen 2 (Portra 160NC) hand reloaded 126 and it is drying now. The colors look good and obvious in the negative (some nice red and green wreaths) and the blix still seems to be clearing to the orange base. No need to mix my next kit yet though I will do a clip test before every roll from now until it is exhausted.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quick scan off the latest roll, need to redo it, not using the 35mm carrier to get the whole square 28x28mm but just to check the colors, Kodak Instamatic 500 with Xenar 38mm f/2.8 lens at 1/125 f/8 IIRC, Portra 160NC expired June 2010:

TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD by Harry Pulley, on Flickr
    Last edited by hpulley; 03-17-2011 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for your feedback on all your experiences. I have the tetenal c-41 kit stored at room temp. I mixed the kit on 19th November 2010 and have developed 8 rolls. I haven't used it for about 8 weeks now. an to think I was worried.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Still going...

I mixed my 1L Tetenal/JOBO kit in January, I think on the 14th. This morning I souped three rolls of Fuji Reala 120 in it. I did a clip test first to be sure it was still developing and blixing OK (as well as you can tell from a C-41 clip test, just density and clearing, no colors) and I developed each roll individually to make sure it didn't crap out on me since I know it's going to one of these rolls. I checked each roll as it was drying before souping the next roll. It still works! This must be about 23 rolls for me now in this 1L kit, unbelievable. I hope I don't ruin a roll one day but so far it still seems to be working well.

Just a couple of quick scans off the first roll, bad dust... need to RA-4 print some of these...

IMG_0002 by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

IMG_0003 by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Just read through this thread. Harry, I'm impressed that you got as many rolls developed as you did. I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind. I'm new to developing color. Done plenty of B&W.

How do you store your chemicals? Whats sort of bottle? After each development, do you pour all chems back into the original bottle? How do you keep chemicals at the temp required?

I'm really looking forward to developing some color. My local Walgreens was cheap to develop/scan, but this last time they ruined two rolls, so I'm doing it myself.

Finally, have you figured out how much your developing cost was after 23 rolls?

Thanx for sharing your experience.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin