Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,504   Posts: 1,597,907   Online: 1204

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are stainless steels that can withstand sulphuric acid.
    Though with the actual bleach solution things may change.

Stephen, depending on the severity of this issue you might try to get samples of higher resistance steels and if it works get those parts off stock or having them machined.
    Last edited by AgX; 07-03-2010 at 04:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    the corrosion issue isn't a problem I just take it as part of the process, one thing i am about to start is that at the end of each day removing the bleach racks and letting them soak in water overnight to slow the corrosion down, but as i mentioned I have hundreds of spares for exactly this issue. thanks for the heads up on certain stainless steels that can withstand sulphuric acid I didnt know this.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I had a ciba chrome Px3 unit for 15years and never saw that kind of erosion in the bleach rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    Regular maintenance of Ilfochrome processors is a must, there are many components that need regular checking especially in the Bleach bath. I have attached a sample of why regular maintenance is a MUST. in the picture attached I show a normal Bolt for a bleach rack on the left before it has been installed into a processor. The 2 screws on the right are from 6 months exposure to ilfochrome bleach. note how the bleach has dissolved the screws. If such corrosion isn't seen to this can cause huge problems to the machine. parts need constant replacement. I think this is a good example as to how strong the chemistry in this process is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    what was the make of the machine bob? was it one of the Colenta processors?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes , There were a run of Colenta Ciba machines made back in the early mid 90's I bought a 32 inch.
    These machines were made Ciba Specific and had a lot of overkill, that you do not see on regular processors converted to ciba.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    what was the make of the machine bob? was it one of the Colenta processors?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah the machine I have is the 50inch actually our machine was the prototype. the first ever of its kind. It wasnt meant for sale but it works a charm.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen, what material is the bolt screwing into, where, and what function ? I have quite a bit of experience of working with highly corrosive boiling acids (I built gold refineries).

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The bolt photographed goes into the rack supports for the bleach. the rack supports are made of plastic. and the corrosion is not a problem with regular maintenance. I simply posted the image of these screws as an example of the strength of the bleach on machine parts over long periods of time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, get some bolts made from Polypropylene or PTFE, or whatever the racks are made from. They can be made very easily, and they won't cost much at all.

I used to buy filter housings from the US, the types used in some photo-labs, the steel nuts & bolts used would corrode badly, in the end I had my own filter housings made and that was the end of the problems, and the cost dropped substantially.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gold Refineries???????

I've never had a woman that was that expensive!

Mick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin