Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,950   Online: 834

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    Just a side comment. There is always specualtion about how long Ilfochrome will be around - I've looked into this extensively recently because we want to start promoting it. I've had meetings with Ilford Switzerland and also the Uk distributors - demand is very strong worldwide and becoming stronger because more and more people are realizing:
    This doesn't surprise me one bit. We should be fully aware that Ilfochrome and also RA4 paper do not require a purely analog work flow, in fact, most labs nowadays scan your slides or negs (or just get data files directly from digital shooters) before laser exposing the desired photo paper. Since it is now common to have only a small subset of your photos printed out (regardless of work flow), there is more budget and higher expectations for good quality photo paper - maybe not in the quantities seen 20 years ago, but still.

Thanks to all who replied, this was definitely very helpful and encouraging, let's just hope it works out with the dark room!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    Just a side comment. There is always specualtion about how long Ilfochrome will be around - I've looked into this extensively recently because we want to start promoting it. I've had meetings with Ilford Switzerland and also the Uk distributors - demand is very strong worldwide and becoming stronger because more and more people are realising:

1. Inkjet is very expensive and just doesnt cut it for top end results and longevity.
    2. Ilfochrome addes a monumental amount of value to the end product.
    3. For what you get - it's not actually that expensive.
    so true. are you commercially printing Ilfochrome? interest is certainly building down in australia around this product and i intend of getting more people interested in it.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree about contrast issues expressed. In most work I have seen over the years it sure beats the blown out digital HDR crap that abounds these days. Not saying all HDR is no good, like anything else it can look good if used properly but there is a look to a Ciba that just is hard to beat. Of course a dye transfer can be gorgeous also. Good luck to the OP in his efforts, wish all Ciba users great results.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The nearest match to Ilfochrome in appearance and archival stability is Chromira from hi-res scans. The problem is the noted clumsiness of even pro-labs in scanning (e.g. fundamentally altering image characteristics such as shadows, highlights or saturation).

I am intrigued by the commentary about worldwide interest in Ilfochrome increasing. Would be good to see some concrete evidence of this, as most pro labs have now migrated to e.g. Chromira or the (ugly, ugly, ugly) Pegasus things.

A few years ago an Ilford representative in Sydney (I think) quoted a mean dark storage life of finished Ilfochromes as 400-600 years (!). Would you really trust your most beautiful and treasured images to an inkjet print that will last no more than 15 years?

There are tricks to enhance the finished job. I have employed museum-grade conservation framing to all of my 'chromes and have done so since 1994. Anybody in Melbourne doubting the beauty of 'chromes under spots can call in (Geelong) and see my nearly 160 Ilfochromes (matted) and 5 others changing regularly on the gallery wall under spots. Hang the bloody expense if you have to get a leg-up over the trigger happy digital ninnies: I'm happy to pay whatever it costs so long as I get what I want in terms of quality and in a timely manner.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Originally Posted by Matt5791
    Just a side comment. There is always specualtion about how long Ilfochrome will be around - I've looked into this extensively recently because we want to start promoting it. I've had meetings with Ilford Switzerland and also the Uk distributors - demand is very strong worldwide and becoming stronger because more and more people are realising:[...]
    1. Inkjet is very expensive and just doesnt cut it for top end results and longevity.
    ***We might do well to find out just why inkjet is very expensive. I see no reason for it given it is not archivally stable.

2. Ilfochrome addes a monumental amount of value to the end product.
    ***True, but the message will be won over clients if you take the time to explain the fundamental differences between Ilfochrome and the everyday Heinz variety inkjets and other types of printing. Fine art clients will already understand the value of Ilfochrome, as with galleries in toto, but ordinary mums and dads (even cashed-up daughters) will need some convincing.

3. For what you get - it's not actually that expensive.
    ***Yeah, right, after 2 prints and the frame-up, I'm living on a boiled egg until the client coughs up...

I have not seen any home-spun Ilfochromes from home darkrooms. Only B&W prints of endless varieties. The difficulty of disposing of 'chrome chemicals, additional to the horror of handling, machine upkeep and the very high cost of raw materials discourages people, which is an enduring shame.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have recently started to use this company but now see they are switching to their new Chromira printer. I will probably send them a tranny that they already printed as an Ilfochrome and see how the Chromira compares. http://www.photech.co.uk/printing/traditional-printing/
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Gary,
    I used to print on Ilfochrome years ago in all sizes upto 16x20. They have been gathering dust (and sometimes fingerprints before I can say DON'T TOUCH) for ages. They still look as bright and vivid as they did the day I printed them. If you want to have a look, send me text or email and I'll bring them over. They were all done in either my dad's tiny darkroom (LPL770 with dichroic filters) or in the darkroom of the State Geological Survey (Fuji 4x5 enlarger with Ilfochrome square filters in custom cardboard holders).
    cheers
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz View Post
    I have recently started to use this company but now see they are switching to their new Chromira printer. I will probably send them a tranny that they already printed as an Ilfochrome and see how the Chromira compares. http://www.photech.co.uk/printing/traditional-printing/

Hmm. Despite being 22,000km or so away, I would be very interested indeed to know what your comparison turns up. Seems to my understanding the Chromira process is printed to material that is very similar to the Ilfochrome base media and it does not use injket technology.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyno View Post
    Gary,
    I used to print on Ilfochrome years ago in all sizes upto 16x20. They have been gathering dust (and sometimes fingerprints before I can say DON'T TOUCH) for ages. They still look as bright and vivid as they did the day I printed them. If you want to have a look, send me text or email and I'll bring them over. They were all done in either my dad's tiny darkroom (LPL770 with dichroic filters) or in the darkroom of the State Geological Survey (Fuji 4x5 enlarger with Ilfochrome square filters in custom cardboard holders).
    cheers
    Mike

PM sent.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Chromira 30 and Chromira Prolab both use LED technology to create beautiful, high quality prints on any RA-4 media and surface, including backlit display films. and RA-4 has nowhere near the archival longevity of the azo-based Ilfochrome dyes.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin