Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,322   Online: 809

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    The Chromira 30 and Chromira Prolab both use LED technology to create beautiful, high quality prints on any RA-4 media and surface, including backlit display films. and RA-4 has nowhere near the archival longevity of the azo-based Ilfochrome dyes.

Great. Just great.
    The much-vaunted, least-proven "digital revolution" is thus far incapable of leaving us with a lasting legacy of the photographs we produce.
    I hope all its chooks turn into emus and kick its dunnies down.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Being in a situation where daily I am printing on Ilfochrome, Ilfoflex and Fujiflex via both traditional hand printing and drum scan / digital out put via chromira I can say that anyone who thinks the digital option is as good a quality as traditional printing is either not looking / able to see the difference or they are kidding themselves. Fuji flex often refered to as the RA-4 equivalent of ilfochrome is not even close in its colour gamut. Also the richness of the blacks in a fujiflex fails next to an ilfochrome.

its a shame so few are in a position where they can daily use both methodologies to compare the output. but then again i can refer it to this simple idea photocopy a photo look at the quality, photocopy the photocopy look at the quality, photocopy that copy and look at the quality. with hand printing to ilfochrome you have the film a lens and there is your image first generation copy. with digital you have your film , your scan and then your digital output device.... its further than a first generation and loss of quality has to occur.

Hand printed Ilfochrome was ,is and always will be king of the commercial colour processes.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Stephen,

Have you tried the Ilfochrome sister product - Ilfocolor? RA4 material.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, sorry if I missed any mention of this throughout this thread, but can you do Ilfochrome in trays?

Everyone seems to be using processors, but for a small-time hobbyist, is it possible/feasible to do it w/o any special equipment?

Also, could I order the chemistry today and have it quickly? I thought that there was a waiting list or something.... who knows, this is how rumours get started I guess.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know about the feasability of doing it in a small darkroom, but before I die, I'm going to do Ilfochrome as well. It'll probably cost me $500 for a handful of 11x14s when all's said and done, but I am going to do it. There's no way I keep shooting slides to just look at them on a light table every now and then!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    I would love to give ilfochrome a try, and from what I read the process itself is not too complicated. What worries me a little is what I read about the extremely small latitude of the ilfochrome paper which supposedly requires contrast reducing measures like masking slides and whatnot.

So the basic question is: if I create ilfochromes from regular slide film (Fuji Astia, Kodak E100VS), using this paper and their standard developer, can I expect results worth looking at or will I produce garbage until I play tricks with the contrast?
    The contrast of the print = the way the printing paper and process together interpreted the contrast of the film image.

The contrast of the film image = the way the film emulsion and its processing together interpreted the contrast of the subject/composition.

This is how photography works, on a technical level.

So, it depends! You will have to mask some to decrease the contrast. You will be able to print some straight. You will have to mask some to increase the contrast...but the same thing applies to RA-4. Because of the push-and-pullability of transparencies, I actually find myself needing to adjust contrast far more with color negative materials than I do with transparencies.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-08-2010 at 08:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Great. Just great.
    The much-vaunted, least-proven "digital revolution" is thus far incapable of leaving us with a lasting legacy of the photographs we produce.
    I hope all its chooks turn into emus and kick its dunnies down.
    YEAH!

(What he said!)
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    Hi Stephen,

Have you tried the Ilfochrome sister product - Ilfocolor? RA4 material.

Matt
    I have indeed , and am baffled why more labs don't offer it! the material is FANTASTIC!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How is it that a relatively tiny (population wise) country like Australia can support two professional Ilfochrome labs, but it is like getting blood from a turnip trying to find anybody who knows anything about it here? I feel lucky to be so close to The Lab in Burbank, but it amazes me that this is pretty much the only outfit in town...and not just any town, but LOS ANGELES! Southern California is well above Australia in terms of population, and has a far more active and populous imaging and exhibition industry...so what gives?
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Apart from my (the Lighthouse Lab / Sandy Prints) who is the other lab in Australia processing Ilfochrome?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin