Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,443   Online: 1189

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Being the last Ilfochrome lab in Australia I can say with pride that our work is not at all local. Our ilfochrome printing is requested from world wide sources because its become harder to access globally and because we are bloody good at what we do. Our Clients who often fly down with their work include The Magnum Agency, The Tate, The Getty and a long list of other world renown leading fine art photographers, facilities, and collectors. When these clients request prints it is expected that if contrast ,colour and density masking is required along with a long list of other tricks and techniques for an optimum print output then that is what MUST BE and IS ALWAYS DONE.

As for your claims of Cibachrome fading fast I'm very concerned by this as we have Cibas that have been exposed to (Harsh Australian) light for 25 years and as any of my clients can see its as rich as the moment it came off the processor. Were you running control strips? I'de be asking some very serious questions to the manafactures is your materials were fading because ours certainly dont.

As for colour ilfords colour gamut not being as extensive as Fuji Flex ... I'm lost for words have you actually printed a transparency by hand onto ilfochrome, printed the same transparency from scan then digital output via lambda onto ilfochrome, Scan from transparency (adjusted) then film recorded back to transparency and then hand printed or lastly printed the same transparency from scan to digital output onto fuji flex and compared the results?

As for price of ilfochrome. The cost is representative of the fine product it is and the level of mastery required to produce a fine print from it. Ilfochrome is not expensive when you take into proper consideration the quality of the material your printing onto. I should also state when your printing photographic works that have sold at auction in excess of $180,000.oo a few hundred dollars worth of ilfochrome materials really is a drop in the bucket. I guess its a question of how good is the photographic work your printing? and is it worthy of such a material. Perhaps your clientele was not suited to such material and you had to let it go.

Returning to your first statement as to why less labs are now doing ilfochrome being lack of demand ( i argue that its lack of labs having the skills, the care and the desire to produce perfection. There is a thriving business in ilfochrome. And it is a solid and stable financial investment for us. Im sorry you weren't able to tap into it.) I am also sorry that you had to ditch your processor. Did you not have the bleach bridge designed for the ilfochrome colenta processor so you could also process Mural sized traditional black and white prints through it in the event ilfochrome failed as a marketable option? Im not going to argue the benefits of ilfochrome the facts are out there and the leading collections around the world holding our ilfochromes and the ilfochromes of other labs are testimony to that.

Also I want to thank Ilford for their wonderful ongoing product support.

Ilfochrome ...nothing more needs to be said.
    Last edited by Stephen Frizza; 07-12-2010 at 11:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would not consider a 36 image show in the Smithsonian small potatoes, would you .

I think my roster of clients are worthy but thanks for the leveled response .

30 years of experience tells me my post is correct.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Was the smithsonian show ilfochromes (cibachromes)?

I'm not saying your clients arn't note worthy, I'm saying they are not after ilfochromes qualities for their work.

peace

~steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done a reasonable amount of RA-4 printing but never any Ilfochrome. This thread had certainly heightened my interest in trying the process within the next few months.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tom all power to you, I'm sure when you try it you will quickly become addicted. The martial is remarkable.
    Ilfochrome Renaissance is coming HAHAHA.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Multiple mask , Enlarger Cibachromes early to mid 90's

My post is very specific, I like cibachromes.

But I have to say I am not interested in arguing with you.

I was putting prints in Museums/Gallery's when you were crapping pablum into your depends and I can stand by my clients with pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    Was the smithsonian show ilfochromes (cibachromes)?

I'm not saying your clients arn't note worthy, I'm saying they are not after ilfochromes qualities for their work.

peace

~steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My associate whom I print on a daily basis with (and is my mentor and printing idol) has also been an ilfochrome printer since before I was even conceived let alone crapping in nappies. I am ever in her debt for the knowledge and high end technique she is instilling in me. I am certainly not arguing with you on any of your points I'm just stating the material facts.

For your works to have been shown in the Smithsonian they had to have been of remarkable quality (as the ones of ours which have shown there and many other institutions have been). I was interested in hearing if your works shown there were output on Ciba (Ilfo) chrome and nothing more.

As I said earlier Ilfochrome...nothing more needs to be said.

oh wait.....ilfoclear? joke.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    They were cibachromes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    My associate whom I print on a daily basis has also been an ilfochrome printer since before I was even conceived let alone crapping in nappies. And I am certainly not arguing with you on any of your points I'm just stating the material facts. For your works to have been shown in the Smithsonian they had to have been of remarkable quality (as the ones of ours which have shown there and many other institutions have been). I was interested in hearing if your works shown there were output on Ciba (Ilfo) chrome nothing more.

As I said earlier Ilfochrome...nothing more needs to be said.

oh wait.....ilfoclear? joke.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    yeah! Ciba (Ilfo) Chrome magic!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever it's called, it's first name is Magic. Magic Ilfochrome.
    Wouldn't mind having my 'chromes in the Smithsonian. The only places my chromes go to are private collections, albeit not cheap private collections.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin