Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,957   Online: 880

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    Dean,

You might want to start here, C41 for Dummies, this should be a sticky.
    Moderators please take note. I would like to see this become a sticky too.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak's C-41 chemistry seems to have become somewhat of a mess since the discontinuation of the one-gallon Flexicolor items. I used to be able to go into Samy's or wherever and simply buy a one-gallon kit of developer, a pre-mixed gallon of bleach, a 750 mL bottle of fixer concentrate to make one gallon, and a tiny bottle of Stabilizer or Final Rinse to make one gallon. It cost about $50, and the most expensive part was the bleach, which lasted for two kits'-worth of developer. So, I got eight quarts of working solution for about $80 after tax. I would go through each quart at least twice, bringing the chemical cost down to about $1.25 per roll of 35mm in a quart tank.

Now, they have a ten liter kit, and also have replenisher on the shelf (just in case ten liters isn't enough :rolleyes. The bleach bottle on the shelf is now 2.7 L. (What???) The Fixer is the same (to make one gallon), and they don't have stabilizer at all! So, nobody buys ANYTHING from the shelf there anymore, and they will stop carrying it because nobody buys it, because if they buy it, they can't process their film anyhow (no Final Rinse).

B&H's online selection is hard for me to figure out, and they do not ship many items.

Nobody at Samy's really knows what they heck is what when it comes to color chemistry, because none of them process it themselves. So asking is a big runaround, and lots of uhms and ers as they try to make sense of the catalog based on one-line descriptions on a computer screen. If only places like Samy's, B&H, and Adorama would group SKUs to let us know what exactly we need to buy to process our color film!

Freestyle does not carry Kodak color chemistry. I find this to be a damned shame. I used to be able to go in there and get my Kodak 5 L E-6 kits right off of the shelf, but I cannot do this now. I am not going to use the cheesy blix kits they have, which are more expensive and lower in quality than the Kodak kits. Why they choose to carry only an inferior product for more money is beyond me.

If only Freestyle would bring in Kodak color chemistry! I know they would arrange the stuff into user-friendly groups to help us pick what we need.

All I can say is that I am glad I stocked up on one-gallon developer kits when I heard they are going to be discontinued. I still have about a dozen left (and two E-6 kits).
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-05-2010 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is sad. One would think that Kodak would continue to make something available so photographers would continue using their color film.

Instead, its more difficult and now many One Hour labs are closing up. Of course, the quality of roller transport is not as good as self processing so it is needed regardless.

There is probably a reasonable explanation or just corporate dumbness.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    There is probably a reasonable explanation...
    Film is dead...or at least dead enough that no one really cares about it very much. Ever heard of triage?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/fuj...t-5l-680-p.asp

I wonder what the damage would be after shipping to the U.S.A., or if they would even do it. Why can't Kodak simply make a kit like this, and why can't Freestyle carry this Fuji one if they are not going to sell the Kodak chems?
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Film is dead...or at least dead enough that no one really cares about it very much. Ever heard of triage?
    Then why come out with new films? Triage, as I understand it, has some logic to it. Introducing new color film and no means or reduced means to develop just seems rather stupid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also buy from Pakor but I bought the individual items from kodak, not the kits. C-41 dev starter, 5 gal size of C41 developer, a 5-gallon size of c-41 bleach (which I'll regenerate at least once), enough fixer to make 20gals (since it's cheap and I can use it for B&W also), and some final rinse off ebay. It's all the regular C-41 process stuff, not the -RA or -SM versions. I can round up part numbers if need be but all the info is on the Pakor site.

I just noticed Adorama carries the C41 dev and will ship (w/o hazmat fee, apparently!?), so probably will go that route next time. The only thing they and others won't usually ship is the bleach part B. (Pakor will ship it though).

Shooter
    35mm
    Photographer's Formulary recently started selling a C-41 kit. But I just went to look and get the link, and, well, poof, their website, at least, no longer exists. Does this mean film really is dead?

I've been using the Tetenal kit. The Kodak chemistry is almost impossible to get: even if you want the large quantities, no one will ship it to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are reconstructing their web site. Call them, they should have it in stock.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've seen talk here of a new C-41 kit from Rollei, with separate bleach and fixer, in quantities that are sensible for small-volume home darkrooms. I get the impression it's available only in Europe at the moment, but I seem to recall that Freestyle will be selling it in the US Real Soon Now. You might give them a call to verify this. You could also check out Unique Photo. They've got what may be the world's worst Web store, but they do have a lot of otherwise hard-to-find color chemicals. You could call them on the phone to ask questions if you need guidance about what to buy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin