Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,979   Online: 1099

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by djnicepix View Post
    Hello all,
    I would like to start developing C-41, graduating from black and white process. I would like to use Kodak Chemicals as I did with B&W, but am open to other brands if they are better. The real trouble I am having, is that in looking for the developer, Kodak says that their Flexicolor SM tank developer is what I should be using in my small tank. Same thing for the bleach, fixer, rinse and stabilizer. What I find at places like B&H and adorama, is flexicolor developer/starter, or developer/replenisher, not just flexicolor SM tank developer. Could someone out there straighten me out as to what I should get for my small tank. Thanks in advance for your time and help,
    Dean
    Just read through all the replies so far and want to thank all of you who answered. You have all been of enormus help to me and I really appreciate it. I am going to check out the "C-41 for dummies" for sure. I am glad to see that I am not alone when it comes to deciphering info from Kodak and the store websites about which chemicals I need.
    I believe (my own opinion), that since the age of digital, folks are able to push the shutter button and get instant gratification with a picture on the monitor. Not may folks who love the REAL deal of film. In this light, the manufactures must produce products that make profit and pay shareholders dividends. This is expected as it is only to make money that a company is in business! So, this will leave a much smaller core of niche companies that are able to produce films and chemicals. I do believe that film WILL stay always but be supplied as such mentioned above.
    I will leave this thread open here for all to add to as they wish and fill it up with more great ideas and comments.
    Also, I have purchased the Tetnal Kit and it is on the way. It did seem the most logical and COMPLETE simple kit available to experiment with.
    My heartfelt thanks again to all.
    Dean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good luck Dean, keep us posted.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Kodak bulk chemicals last a very long time when not diluted for use. Since they are liquid you can mix up small lots pretty easily. Kodak even tells you how much to use per liter of working solution. I've done this for a number of years, taking a 3.5 gallon kit and making up a liter at a time. The bulk chemicals seem to stay fresh even a year or more after breaking the seal.

The SM kits are tuned for use in a small darkroom, as opposed to a production, machine processor, environment. I haven't tried them yet, but they seem to be a wise way to go.

As detailed in many places on this forum, you really need a separate bleach and fixer for the best results on color film. Many kits use a blix, which does not fully clear out the silver. The kits work, but the results have definite quality problems for the processed film.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin