Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,222   Online: 1178

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

A newbie to C-41 needs a little help with chemicals

Hello all,
    I would like to start developing C-41, graduating from black and white process. I would like to use Kodak Chemicals as I did with B&W, but am open to other brands if they are better. The real trouble I am having, is that in looking for the developer, Kodak says that their Flexicolor SM tank developer is what I should be using in my small tank. Same thing for the bleach, fixer, rinse and stabilizer. What I find at places like B&H and adorama, is flexicolor developer/starter, or developer/replenisher, not just flexicolor SM tank developer. Could someone out there straighten me out as to what I should get for my small tank. Thanks in advance for your time and help,
    Dean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djnicepix View Post
    Hello all,
    I would like to start developing C-41, graduating from black and white process. I would like to use Kodak Chemicals as I did with B&W, but am open to other brands if they are better. The real trouble I am having, is that in looking for the developer, Kodak says that their Flexicolor SM tank developer is what I should be using in my small tank. Same thing for the bleach, fixer, rinse and stabilizer. What I find at places like B&H and adorama, is flexicolor developer/starter, or developer/replenisher, not just flexicolor SM tank developer. Could someone out there straighten me out as to what I should get for my small tank. Thanks in advance for your time and help,
    Dean
    What sort of small tank are you using?
    I've always gone by the Kodak publication Z-131 when I'm using rotary tube process, pages 1-5 and 3-6 from their website. I don't see any mention there of SM. I'm just using Flexicolor developer Cat. #192 7698 which makes 1 US gallon of working solution. Works fine, no starter needed. Hope this helps.
    Derek.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak is a mess information-wise, and you also have to develop at that high and very precise temp, they also do not recommend to mix chemicals in small batches and they have not chemicals in small quantities (that also differs on where you live). Kodak is clearly not for the hobbyist and somehow i think the mess is made on purpose as some kind of market move.

Have a look at the Rollei Digibase C41 chemistry:
    http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-colo...4_534_620.html

That chemistry is made to be mixed in small quantities and the concentrates have very long shelf life without protective gas and such hassle and it can be used even in room temp (20C), though at a very long developing time. I use it at 30C 8min and get good results. You could also try Tetenal, i have had success with that, also at 30C, but Tetenal have blix instead of bleach and fix separate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Separate bleach and fix is more archival than a combined blix - something to consider.

Doing C41 is fun and I don't mean to discourage you from trying it, but I gave up on it and let a lab do it for me since it's cost effective to do so and far more consistent. If I shot a ton of 4x5 C41 I might reconsider, given the high cost of processing but my volume is low so using a lab makes sense here, too.

E6 is fun too - again, I don't do it anymore for the same reasons, but it is something that every photo hobbyist who likes silver should try once. Seeing positives come out of the tank is really pretty cool.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Mark, do you replenish or use one shot. The info they list has good yield if you replenish. Do you buy separate replenisher?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Mark, do you replenish or use one shot. The info they list has good yield if you replenish. Do you buy separate replenisher?
    I replenish mostly, but when I first started I just did one shot.

The kit makes the replenisher and all.

This thread lists the times I use http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/7...times-doh.html
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are several kits (from Tetenal, Kodak, Fuji, etc.) available for C-41. Some include 3 chemicals, some more. There's no need to buy chemicals separately.
    // Nikon F100 / Nikon EM / Rollei XF 35 / Minolta Hi-matic 7s / Mamiya M645 1000s / Yashicaflex / Welta Weltax //

Flickr / Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mark.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dean,

You might want to start here, C41 for Dummies, this should be a sticky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin