Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,294   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Sensia 100 differences vs Astia 100F

Hi all,
    First post on the site. I'm Down to my last K64 roll in the camera and was looking to try Sensia 100. I shot a single roll of Astia 100F and liked the colors except that shadows on a white object were rendered yellowish. Blue skies were realistic but images didn't look as sharp as K64. I don't need "the finest grained film" out there. Grain is the absolute last criteria on my mind. If I want grainless I can always shoot digital. Sharpness, good contrast and realistic/pleasing color rendition is much more important to me than grain-less images.

I'm really going to miss the Kodachrome edge "pop" and 3-D depth. Looking to what comes closest to that sharp edge contrast in K64 and was wondering if Sensia 100 might be better than Astia 100F in that respect.

I shoot commercial aircraft where blue skies turning purple (as some E6 films do) is very distracting. Provia 100F is being touted as the best alternative to K64 for shooting aircraft but from the scans I've seen it looks too "clean" (almost boring like digital). Supposedly it has very high resolution and is contrasty enough but so far I don't see anywhere near the 3-dimensional and sharp look of Kodachrome. The blue skies might tend to a slight cyan/purple so I decided Provia 100F would only be a third choice. The darker/grayer sky blues of the K film were perfect for what I shoot.

If anyone has some Sensia 100 vs Astia 100F images with contrasty edges to compare that would be great also.

many thanks in advance,
    -Mario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Mario!
    I've always preferred Kodachrome, and know what you mean about the sharpness and 3D look.
    Interesting what you say about Provia 100. It's competent and clean and smooth and all, but somehow for me a little boring. Sort of like a Toyota Camry, which is the only car I've driven that left me comparing it to a household appliance.
    I really like the 400X for what it delivers at that speed, and find it somehow more interesting and that's what I use most for shots of small aircraft in flight.

Shooter
    35mm
    Astia 100F is the one that is boring in actual fact. Palette too pastel-ly, grain so non-existent that edge sharpness dissolves.

Sensia 100 is sharper than Astia 100F but is too warm - almost brownish - for my taste.

Provia 100F is the closest approximation to Kodachrome, more so than E100G. Blue in Provia stays blue, do not turn purple. Try pushing the film 1/3-1/2 stop if you like to mimic the denser shadows of K64. You will also get less than a 'clinical look' at that point.

Shooter
    35mm
    Anyone know how good is the edge crispness of the Rollei cr200? Some users here said it resembles Kodachrome in color palette.

Thanks for the suggestion lxdude, all reviews for the 400X say this film is amazing so I'm tempted to try it out sometime (and great analogy lol ) Would like to know how the 400X edge crispness compares to a ISO 100 film.

Iceberg I've heard Provia 100F compares to Kodachrome 25. I can see a vague similarity, but it clearly lacks K25 3d-effect and nice contrast. K25 used to be the film of choice for static transportation shots. Never got to use it unfortunately as i started shooting slides in 2001 right after it was discontinued and scalpers on ebay just wanted too much. If there was ever a slide with the characteristics of K25 in ISO 64 or above, that would be a hit. Nowadays there's too many slide film choices but each have MAJOR weaknesses. E6 films tend to either go too blue/purple or too yellowish, Astia is supposed to be neutral but shades tend to yellowish and edge crispness isn't there.

Anyone tried shooting Velvia 100 at ISO 80 or 64 for realistic colors and less harsh shadows? I was thinking of trying Provia 100F at these speeds so it would come out less bluish/magenta. Would that help to make it look sharper? I'm afraid Provia 100F without the color punch would be too flat and even less 3d than it already is.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Will be interesting to see what you go with. Have you tried any Velvia 100F? It's got more of a true color palette than the other Velvias, and although I only ever shot a couple rolls of it, I've even seen examples of it used as a portrait film and the shots looked very nice. At any rate, Velvia, even a toned down version like 100F will give your shot more character and "perceived sharpness" than Provia or (especially) Astia.

On a side note, what do you not like about E100G? Skies are gorgeous with that film to my eye...shooting a lot of aircraft, it would seem to be a decent option to me, but maybe there is something specifically that you don't like about it?
    Best of luck in you selection!

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodachrome edges stand out more as if cut by a razor:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Airbo...205/1587147/L/
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Piedm...301/1231498/L/

Provia 100F has good punchy colors but does not emphasize edges. Scans don't have much 3D depth and look somewhat similar to digital to me.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Alask...990/1707471/L/
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ameri...823/1714201/L/

Shooter
    35mm
    Jedidiah, I did try a test roll of E100GX a few years ago. Colors were rendered perfectly, but the film didn't really look as sharp as the K64 I was shooting. Contrast was also a bit weak. From what I hear E100G is even less sharp. If E100GX was still around I'd shoot a roll and compare it to the Astia 100F.
    Last edited by sharpK25; 07-14-2010 at 10:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpK25 View Post
    Would like to know how the 400X edge crispness compares to a ISO 100 film.
    Maybe it's the increased grain (still very reasonable), but it looks crisper to me.
    I saw something recently (maybe here on APUG) that said that 400X does well pushed one stop, and that E 200 does well pushed up to 2 stops, meaning both are good to ISO 800. I haven't used E 200, but I'm going to try it pushed a stop to compare it to 400X.

Shooter
    35mm
    400X at ASA800 is very nice.

As for sharpness, contrasty edges, crispness, however defined; perhaps Sensia 200 or 400 may be worth a stab. They've got a nice bit of grain and I've found them to have a nice look. Probably nothing like Kodachrome, but then, nothing else is Kodachrome.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, I see what you're looking for now. Definitely give that Velvia 100F a try - even just one roll - and see if it has more of the contrast and sharpness you're looking for. The colors won't go all wonky in the skies on you (well, at least not like the original Velvia). You may even try rating 1/2 the roll at about ISO 80 and see if that gives you the deeper shadows and more Kodachrome style look.

I think Astia and Provia are too "smooth" for what you're after. And by the way, I did always find it interesting how a Kodachrome slide looked almost like the emulsion was laid down in "3D" on the back of the slide...much different looking than any E6 emulsion. If you turn it about 30 degrees and look at it with the light bouncing off it, you know what I'm talking about. Not sure if any "smooth" E6 emulsion is going to do that for you or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin