Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,124   Posts: 1,636,918   Online: 948

Shooter
    35mm

Silverfast Selection Marquee

I am new to developing and scanning and need some scanning advice. I use an Epson V750 with Silverfast AI. To date have developed about 10 B+W (Delta 400, HP5, XP2) and 10 color rolls (Superia 400, Ektar 100, Portra 800). I am learning and refining my process with each roll and have been pretty satisfied with my results. However, I notice that after I do a prescan, the color and brightness of all frames change depending on which frame the selection marquee is covering. This is especially noticeable with a mixture of day and night shots. A frame that I am particularly happy with may change as soon as I drag the selection marquee over it i.e. the brightness increases with especially washed out highlights. Is this normal and is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is probably not the best place to ask.

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php

Would be a good place to start.

My word of advice though would be to scan all films as COLOUR slides and invert the resulting file for negatives.

You might have some luck speaking to Silverfast too.

My personal recommendation is to try printing optically with an enlarger. Far more fun

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, and welcome to APUG.

It is good to see people using film, even if they are using hybrid output

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. This is one of the quirks of Silverfast but it doesn't have an effect on the final scan. Your final scan will show the correct brightness levels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you switch to traditional printing methods you wont have that problem.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Every scan program does that, IF you have color/exposure correction turned on. It's showing you a preview of what the results of the correction are going to be. An extreme example: a very yellowed and color-casted print on a flatbed scanner. When you do a preview that includes the stark white background of the scanner lid, it color corrects to that as white (i.e. no real color correction needed), but when you neck the marquee down to just the print area, then it refigures the color correction based on that and cleans up the images (and completely blows out the whites of the scanner lid, which you don't care about.) As you move the marquee from image to image of a previewed set, it's similarly refiguring its color correction values.

If there is a difference between what you see in the preview and what you see in the resulting scan, it's either because of the weirdness of the tiny size of the preview versus the full scan, or because you have color corrections turned on for previews but not for scans, or something like that (I use VueScan, not Silverfast, so I can't say for sure in your case.)

But in any event, clearly you should print these optically to avoid all this, as has been mentioned :-)

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may also try asking at
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Indeed, as others have suggested, this question is best addressed at our sister site Hybrid Photo.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin