Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,581   Online: 929

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I live in Connecticut and at least my nearest Walmart no longer processes in house, it all goes to Fuji NY. I have tried the Walmart photo finishing of 120 using Fuji NY, and I was not even unimpressed, I was downright angry.

I asked Walmart for "Process and scan to CD, no prints", I got process and print, no CD. I thought of it this way, at least I have my prints low res as they may be, I can still scan them, but then came the next insult as the clerk at the counter tried to charge me for the CD that I ordered but did not receive. It was my first roll of 120 ever, and almost my last, I'm glad it didn't let it get me down.

From what I have been told, Walmart used to do a great job in house, better than a lot of 1 hour places, and other parts of the country report good things about their Fuji processing center, as for me when it comes to Walmart and Fuji processing centers, I might try them again some day, but they will get a roll or two of test film before I trust them with anything I might care about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Walmart has a lot of people go through their stores. If a reasonable portion of those people know that film processing is available and take advantage of their services than it means that a significantly large number of people will continue to use film, and have it processed locally.

How is that bad?

In my area, Walmart uses Kodak paper (and may use Kodak chemistry). The processing and printing is done by people who live and work locally.

How is that bad?

Walmark buys their photofinishing equipment from who knows where, but it is maintained locally.

How is that bad?

I agree that their quality is middling, but we need more busy photo-finishers that offer middling quality and make money, so that the market for higher quality photo-finishers can be healthy too.

As far as I see it, Walmart would be better if it had more business like it's photo-finishing business.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Following what Matt said. The twentith century provided money to do research and development on film and processing by many people taking crappy snapshots. If Walmart or any other company can keep reminding people that film and processing is still available, then that is better for us.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really don't see how shoddy workman ship and incompetent workers can help out the film business. They get so many things happening they can't be good at everything . Do you really think that they are concerned about how well your prints turn out or just how much you are willing to spend ? You screw me around once shame on you. Do it twice and shame on me !!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually the Walmart where I live does a better job than the only 2 drug stores here that still offer film processing and they're a bit less expensive too. I will miss their film developing service if it goes. With them I can get my film back in a couple of days. The drug stores take a week. There isn't any 1 hour processing here. If they go and the drug stores go I'll have a hard time getting rolls developed at all. I'll have to go online for processing. Better Walmart than no film labs at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    I really don't see how shoddy workman ship and incompetent workers can help out the film business. They get so many things happening they can't be good at everything . Do you really think that they are concerned about how well your prints turn out or just how much you are willing to spend ? You screw me around once shame on you. Do it twice and shame on me !!!!
    Working at a photolab myself, I know the average consumer doesn't care about stuff like damaged negs, or color balance, as long as the prints look half-decent. A lot of them throw out the negs and only keep the prints and CD.

It never ceases to amaze me how many members here can't grasp that the average person doesn't think like them.
    "That woman thought my MamSselGraphicBladPusCanKinDorff shot video! What an IDIOT!"

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wal-Mart still does MF and 35mm in Berlin.

Here is Berlin, Wi. the local Wal-Mart does both 35mm and 120, but they send it to Fuji which I think is in Green Bay or Appleton. The last roll of 35mm I had a few weeks ago cost $6.50 and took a week. I can take it to the camera store in Oshkosh and have it done in an hour for the same price. The last MF cost less than 35mm, I think it was only a couple of bucks. I have had some gobs of something on 120 negatives though. The 120 takes two weeks. I plan to start sending my 35mm films to York in Chicago I think it is. Their price is cheaper (a couple dollars I think) and considering the time in the mail, it is just about as long. I guess I will have to start my own darkroom eventually. York doesn't do 120 format. My local grocery store has stopped taking film over a year ago. I don't know about the local drug store or some others but I don't see them advertising it. Ric.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cheap C41 dev/print service has all but vanished from the big box stores around the Toronto area. Costco warehouses apparently dropped c41 service altogether with the refusal to fix a busted Fuji processor at their Brampton location a few months back--one of the last. Frankly, though, the quality was painfully inconsistent over the past few years as film work thinned. Not sure Walmart even bothers hereabouts. My pro lab does superb work but charges a good deal more, so I put most of my $ into 120 processing and prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    You screw me around once, shame on you.
    Screw me around twice, I won't get screwed again.

Just Saying ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From what I can tell from talking to WM people here in south Texas - Austin-San Antonio-Houston - area its a local decision based on volume of film being run. Have heard of no plans to discontinue the Fuji send-out service.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin