Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,335   Online: 1205

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Walmart Photolabs Being Phased Out In USA and Canada?

I have heard that some Walmart photolabs in the USA have been phased out- basically being shut down. What is the status for this in the rest of the States, and have any labs in Canada Walmarts suffered the same fate? Im wondering since photolabs in general are very slow these days, that we could lose our lab here in town. Walmart here is one of the last labs to still do C-41 processing. As a side note I live in Western Canada, so I'd like to hear from others nearby.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No loss...They did in a roll of Kodak Ektar for me with shots of our Mayor on it (Vancouver) Fortunately I had enough of my B & W negatives to cover my choice. ...... NEVER Again
    A lot of places do the mail order or express delivery

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never used them myself, but it seems so. I made a suggestion that a small portion of the program for next year's local photo club be devoted to analog work, and I got mostly negative feedback. One vociferous reply included a statement that Walmart and Costco no longer did film developing, so there would be no one interested, except me (the only club member with a darkroom.)

The only reason I was a member this past year was because I wanted to remind them every now and then that film still existed, but obviously I've made no headway. But then, I usually decided my time was better spent in that darkroom than at a meeting listening to yet another discussion of a whizz-bang digi-effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was at our local Waldos and saw their processing machinery in the "photo" department, asked about services, and hit a wall head on. They dont develope c-41 or E-6 in house. What about enlargments---no, we send out. What about anything---we have the digital thingie that you plug your chip or disc in and get prints yourself. Why then do they have the Fuji/Frontier machines if they dont use them?
    I think I'll ask if they will give them to me, at least I'll use the stuff.
    And my wifey wonders why I despise that store chain, never can get one dad-burned thing I want from them. They chase out all the local businesses then stop providing for needs, and replace with what we dont want but have to get, because thats all there is. Aw crap, now I'm on a friggin rant....
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    we don't do wally's in house
    but they send out to fuji for us.
    my 10year old just picked up
    2 rolls worth of prints yesterday.
    sam's stopped their send out service to fuji
    which was dirt cheap.
    i didn't realize wally's was no bargain, nearly 4x as expensive through the same lab!
    i think we are going to our local mini lab operator for the next rolls.
    she does better work for the same money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They all changed to send out only in my area. Really not that good anyway unless you want your negatives to look like roadkill.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good. Give your business to local or at least regional pro lab instead. Better quality negatives and you are supporting the little (or at least smaller guy).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Walmart that I use from time to time have recently posted a sign that says that their film processing services will only be available from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. This is a reduction from their usual 14 hour day availability.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    One vociferous reply included a statement that Walmart and Costco no longer did film developing, so there would be no one interested, except me (the only club member with a darkroom.)
    35mm film processing is still alive and well at Costco.
    120 film processing is not one of their choices.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can get C-41 processed 1 hour at the local Rite Aid in town, they send out E-6 to Fuji (thank God) and its great service(albeit slow) reasonable prices.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin