Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,781   Online: 1193

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My First And Last Roll of Kodachrome

I picked up some Kodachrome 64 late last year when B&H still had some stock. It’s been in my freezer ever since.

Well, the clock’s ticking, and I have a few challenges. My transition to film has been slow, and I shoot (only?) a couple rolls of film per month. Also, with a few exceptions, I’m still toying with pinhole and plastic (point and shoot) cameras. The slowest film I’ve shot is 200 speed.

Obviously I have neither the time nor the resources (i.e. more film) to experiment. And I want the images to special. I’m thinking some outdoor pictures of my sons, and maybe some local architecture or other outdoor subjects.

Here are the cameras I can shoot with: Olympus XA2, Yashica T5, various plastic cameras (Smena 8M, Vivitar Wide & Slim, etc.). As much as I love the cheap cameras, I don’t think I want them to consume my Kodachrome. I also have an old Pentax ME with kit 50mm lens that my in-laws gave me. But something’s wrong with it – the shutter or advance gets stuck, it seems.

I’m not beyond picking up another camera, but I’m hoping to hear that the XA2 or T5 will do the film justice. If so, that brings up my second concern. Since these are automatic cameras, will I need (or should I use) a tripod? Again, I’m planning to shoot in bright outdoor light.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by bvy; 07-15-2010 at 06:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Since this is your only chance ever to use Kodachrome, I'd suggest buying or borrowing a decent SLR with good metering. Any functional camera will work with it, it's not magic, but if you've only got one chance to do something, it's probably best to do it well.
    I personally like it used in slightly softer light, like window light coming in to a room for a portrait, or when the sun is low in the sky (my scan here needs a slight warming but show the capabilities: http://www.flickr.com/photos/msmoynihan/4550509471/ )
    Having said that, shot on the beach it can be lovely too:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/justfilm/3654589613/ (not my image)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No clock is ticking. The freezer will keep the film well. You don't seem too confident in your ablilty based on your hesitation on trying the new film. With fim, you have to burn to learn. It does not matter which camera you use, but if you want the best results, and sureity that the film will be exposed in the best possible way, rent a nice camera like a F5/F6 or an EOS3/1n and research how people expose that film on it. Using a lens with vibration reduction (VR for nikon) or image stabilization (IS for canon) will ensure that you don't get shake, and allow you to forget about the tripod for shots as long as 1/30s (Even longer if you use propper technique) Getting a fast lens (2.8-1.4) wil help eliminate the need for flash, as experimenting with flash for a film with which you are not familiar with seems to be a recipie for disaster.

Hope I helped, even a little...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Oly is a capable little cam, so is the Yash. For the life of me, I dont know why people place such reverance and awe on a Kodachrome. Its just film. Shoot it and get it developed. Years ago I shot miles of the stuff(starting with k25), and there was no mystery or fear of ruining the crap. Any half-decent camera will suffice. I switched to Ektachrome when it became possible to process it yourself in the early 70's, and never looked back.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Its just film. Shoot it and get it developed
    ^^^^Sig material right there

Shooter
    35mm
    I shot lots of rolls of Kodachrome with an Olympus XA and the results were very nice. That Yashica T5 is a nice camera also. Both of those cameras will do fine .
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by urbantarzan View Post
    No clock is ticking.
    There is one clock ticking. That's the countdown to Dwayne's stopping processing this film at the end of this year.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Australia isn't very exciting for an Australian to visit, but for a Brit or an American, it's on the other side of the world so you want to make sure you get the most out of the time you spend there on holiday. Just because you shot miles of it and find it mundane doesn't mean that everyone else does. It's the only film of its type remaining in the world and is almost certainly never going to be manufactured again, I mean, if you found some unexposed autochromes, wouldn't you want to make sure you exposed/developed them properly, despite the fact that they were fairly boring for most of the people who used them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But why give it god status, its just a material thing, and on its way to the dumpster. The point here is that in a few weeks time there will be no way of processing it, so better to just shoot it and be done with it. Thats a more fitting end for it than the rubbish bin, or it sitting on a shelf with you wondering what could have been.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    The point here is that in a few weeks time there will be no way of processing it, so better to just shoot it and be done with it. Thats a more fitting end for it than the rubbish bin, or it sitting on a shelf with you wondering what could have been.
    Yeah, it's killing me that I cannot use my 3 rolls of 120 Kodachrome 64...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin