Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,784   Online: 870

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

which one is the slide with most natural colors?

Hi analog friends,

I'd like to shoot some slides, but with very natural colors (for people photography). I don't like the saturation of velvia.

I'm not really into slide films and i can't find the info on google.

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Try Ektachrome

Ektachrome has always been pretty neutral for me.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...?pq-path=13369

I used to use it for my art documentation jobs.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Astia 100F. Provia 400x if you need the speed. But astia gives nice skin tones.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji have always been the most natural since E4 days

Now we have E6 so Astia or Provia.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My vote: Ektachrome 100 G.

But why slides?

Shooter
    35mm
    and what can you tell me about sensia 100. i've shot 1 roll of it but those days i didn't know how to expose correctly. The price of the slide also matters to me, because additionally processing is expensive. thanks

i want to shoot something in color now and i think it would be nice to watch the photos with my projector :]

i also like the concept of pretty much fixed color/contrast of the photo on slides

i still have ~40 rolls of apx 400, when i finish them (like 1 year) i will consider negatives or slides :]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both Velvia and Provia are too saturated for my taste on many subjects. Astia 100F looks nice to me, but my preference is Kodak Ektachrome 100G or Elitechrome.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmions View Post
    and what can you tell me about sensia 100. i've shot 1 roll of it but those days i didn't know how to expose correctly. The price of the slide also matters to me, because additionally processing is expensive. thanks
    I haven't shot any 35mm transparency in a while, so I haven't used the recent Sensia, but when I used to use it I found it to be a great film. Sensia used to be the same as Astia. I assume it still is, but didn't get a name change when Astia went to Astia F. It's the least saturated of the Fuji slide films, and I think of Kodak too. Very nice all around film, and should meet your stated requirements quite well.
    Last edited by L Gebhardt; 07-15-2010 at 03:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmions View Post
    and what can you tell me about sensia 100.
    Sensia 100 has always been my favorite. IMO it is very neutral or a bit warm, and gives nice rendition even to a bit overexposed highlights. Shadows might not "snap" as much as Velvia when projected (a bit lower DMAX) but OTOH it makes printing (and sc*n*ing) easier and it still looks good also when projected.

Provia 400X, on the other hand, is something I don't find very usable if you want natural colors for portraits etc... It's a bit high in contrast and easily go magentaish IMO.

Shooter
    35mm
    Astia. There is none better, none more natural. In fact, I would go so far as to claim all others have some bit of the unnatural to them. Be warned though, there are lies, damned lies, and scans. Don't let a scanned image guide you. You need to shoot a roll and look at it, ideally projected, to get a sense for what a slide film is like.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin