Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,341   Online: 786

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seriously people, mercury vapour for the sake of developing film? I'd rather go digital! Mercury is nasty stuff. Specially considering it's potential benefit in this case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking forward to it Alvaro.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm also looking forward to it, but in the meantime I found this video that shows the mercury evaporating at room temperature. It does say the beaker has been warmed by hands though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Mercury does indeed vaporize at room temperature. Check out this health and safety vid: http://www.mwsi.com/new/videos/Mercury.mpg

The ultraviolet light is needed to visually see it, since the vapor is to...ummm...'thin' to see with the naked eye (don't know a better term).

I surely wouldn't do this since exposure to mercury is so incredibly damaging to the human nervous system. That said, film speed increases can be done with ammonia or peroxide since all you're trying to do is super-saturate the film emulsion with oxygen to help speed up the halide reactions. There's an old astrophotography book somewhere on my shelf that speaks of doing this when the old BW emulsions were still very slow and they needed the increase.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread isn't really about mercury sensitization, that was just a tangent. It's just about pushing Provia 400 to 1600. I would bet that Alvaro here did nothing with mercury.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now back onto mercury As any other material in liquid state it of course vaporizes even when far from boiling point. The warmer the faster though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So do some solids.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    So do some solids.
    True, but as far as I know only when at given temperature and pressure there is direct transition from solid state to gas state.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Many do it at room temp in open air.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Many do it at room temp in open air.
    Indeed - because for those these are the right conditions. For example is you put frozen C02 in room conditions it does not melt first and than evaporate - it sublimates, because liquid state of C02 only exists at pressures 5 times the normal pressure (at give temperature range only of course).

Don't we all love Wikipedia

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin