Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,763   Online: 969

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Endura VC mottle problem

This week I've bought a roll of Supra Endura VC.

I've tried it in Tetenal minilab chemistry at room temperature. The result is mottled and black is not right.

I've located and bought Kodak RT/LU developer and the result at 25C (120 seconds) is the same - ugly mottle. I've tried developing for 180s - seems to look a bit better but still ugly.

Some old Supra III is fine in the same chemistry. Its somewhat fogged but no mottle.

I use vinegar stop and somewhat questionable bleach but it works fine with Supra III though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried at higher temperatures? It would be very interesting to know. Try to place your trays in a larger tray with water bath.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I would question your use of a vinegar stop and non-official RA-4 bleach.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use a water rinse between your stop, which should be 2%, and the rest of your chems. BTW the Kodak RA/RT stuff works very well at 20-22C and keeps for a long time. I'm just finishing off the batches of dev and blix I mixed up in mid march and just did a test with some I mixed up two days ago, no visible differences.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unless Supra III was a much better paper in terms of not being susceptible to "mottle" then it would seem that we are missing the real problem which I admit I have no idea about. It leaves the possibility that the newer Supra VC Endura is at fault or cannot be used at room temp. There has to be a difference here between Supra III and the newer paper surely?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Supra III and Endura are quite different in composition. Supra III kept more poorly than Endura. I can't comment other than this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From Kodak's FAQ "Can I use SUPRA ENDURA VC Digital Paper for optical printing?
    Yes. When exposed optically the image will be high in contrast. If balanced on flesh tones, the neutrals will appear cyan."

Just might not be worth trying at room temp or with optical printing.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...20/13429/13424

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Have you tried at higher temperatures? It would be very interesting to know. Try to place your trays in a larger tray with water bath.
    I wanted to avoid that if possible. Looks a major PITA for me. I would very much prefer a chemical solution.

I'm not sure how to keep the water bath temperature stable for few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I would question your use of a vinegar stop and non-official RA-4 bleach.
    I've replaced the vinegar stop with a rinse and the results were the same.
    I've replaced the questionable blix with separate and different bleach and fix. Results are the same.

Interesting thing is that I can hardly see the mottle before the bleach step. Perhaps its most pronounced at bottom layers of coating and silver image hides it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    From Kodak's FAQ "Can I use SUPRA ENDURA VC Digital Paper for optical printing?
    Yes. When exposed optically the image will be high in contrast. If balanced on flesh tones, the neutrals will appear cyan."

Just might not be worth trying at room temp or with optical printing.
    I'm well aware of that statement. However for the project I want to work on now the higher contrast is what I want and the skin color balance thing is a non issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can call Kodak, and give them the emulsion number on the package, you will find out the coating date. The coating may have been old or mishandled with excess heat.

It may also be defective.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have tested the paper with both Tetenal and Kodak developers at about 38C. The result is same as before.

I again tested whole process with different paper, this time with old Agfa paper which besides fog came out fine.

The Supra Endura VC is definitely not old. It has both manufacturing (5/2010) and expiry date (11/2011).

I guess the paper is damaged by heat. This summer was extremely hot here and I haven't seen air conditioning at the dealer I bought the paper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin