Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,616   Online: 1011

Shooter
    35mm RF

Current Materials for RA-4

I started a thread a few months back about which Kodak RA-4 chemistry to get, and now that the Kodak paper is gone, I feel like I should ask again. Someone had mentioned that Fuji paper and Kodak chemistry did not work that well together. What other chemistry can be used with Fuji? I order a lot of b/w materials from Freestyle, so what about their Arista kits? What about the UltraFine stuff, chemistry and paper? Any help would be appreciated. I don't need to do room temp, as I have a Nova slot with temp control (or I can use a food warming tray I got for lith printing if i decide to use trays). How long would the chemistry keep in the slot processor, assuming it is well-covered and full? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't tried any of the recent Fuji CA materials at room temp.

Can you deal with rolls?

I'm cutting my own from Kodak Edge, which is cheap but thinner than Portra/Supra.

It gives good results at room temp with Kodak RA/RT with some experience.

edt, sorry see now that you don't necessarily need room temp

I've run some of the older... CA PIII I think it was. I only had a few sheets left over and it seem okay in the RA/RT at room temp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    I started a thread a few months back about which Kodak RA-4 chemistry to get, and now that the Kodak paper is gone, I feel like I should ask again. Someone had mentioned that Fuji paper and Kodak chemistry did not work that well together. What other chemistry can be used with Fuji? I order a lot of b/w materials from Freestyle, so what about their Arista kits? What about the UltraFine stuff, chemistry and paper? Any help would be appreciated. I don't need to do room temp, as I have a Nova slot with temp control (or I can use a food warming tray I got for lith printing if i decide to use trays). How long would the chemistry keep in the slot processor, assuming it is well-covered and full? Thanks.
    I seem to recall that Kodak Chemicals work fine but the Fuji didn't work well at room temperature like the Kodak paper did. Maybe do a search will bring up the post.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    From memory, what I've read is that the Fuji / Kodak compatibility issue surrounds room temperature development.

This recent thread may be of some use - I don't know what chemistry Tom is using, might be worth asking him:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/8...atibility.html
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ok, so as long as I crank up the temp, I can use any chemistry with the Fuji. That's a good start. Now, part 2: I don't think it will be practical to buy 10 liters of chemistry for my usage, and I don't have the fridge space to store extra giant bottles of Kodak concentrate. Are there any decent kits for low volume use, and approx how long would they keep in a covered Nova processor? The processor holds one gallon per slot, so that's my target. Freestyle sells an Arista kit that fits the size - any thoughts on quality and longevity?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used the Arista RA kit once or twice in the past. I don't recall having any quality problems. I haven't used it in a while simply because I'm using a mix-it-yourself developer formula.
    Rod Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Kodak RA/RT 10 liter concentrates don't need to be stored in a fridge, just mix the qty you need for the processor, flush the air out of the factory bottles with some nitrogen, argon or butane and reseal. The opened concentrates will easily keep a year if you remove the air. The mixed solutions will keep 5 months in a PETE soda bottle if made with distilled water, at least mine have. See http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j39/j39.pdf

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin