Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,690   Online: 742

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The George Eastman House has some Autochromes on their flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/george_...7606226772243/ that have to be seen to believe!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Wow, amazing quality. Hmmm, so if color film were to disappear, there is still a way to do color.
    Yes, I've seen modern examples of this. A few people on the Yahoo Zenit camera group got interested and experimented with this process and posted their results a couple of years ago. The caveats mentioned by 2F/2F still apply, of course.

FWIW, I used one of Prokudin-Gorskii's images (this one, from the original LOC site) as my desktop background for a while, back around 2000.
    Rod Smith

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    FWIW, I used one of Prokudin-Gorskii's images (this one, from the original LOC site) as my desktop background for a while, back around 2000.
    10 years ago?

Hmmm, that makes me wonder why on APUG, site gathering passionate photographers, bunch of Prokudin-Gurski's images is treated like a hot news (although it's well known since couple of years).

Best,
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those photos are awesome!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rudolf View Post
    10 years ago?
    It turns out it wasn't quite that long ago, just 9 years -- but in my defense, I did say "around 2000." From the Wikipedia article on Prokudin-Gorskii:

In 2001, the Library of Congress produced an exhibition from these, The Empire That Was Russia: The Prokudin-Gorskii Photographic Record Recreated.
    I recall learning of the LOC site soon after it was created.

It's "hot news" here today because of the Boston.com article referenced in the first post. The first paragraph of that article says it was inspired by the recent wildfires in much of Russia.
    Rod Smith

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    I thought Kodachrome was first in color,...

Ric,

You are not the first one with this misconception. The origins of natural colour photography are commonly located at the year 1861.

Spread within Apug you'll find a lot of postings on early natural colour processes as well as hints to english language literature on that issue.
    A good introduction may be "Colour Photography" by Brian Coe from 1978

Shooter
    35mm
    to tell you the truth, that all looks like chromatic aberration to me, and that would make sense for back then
    What is one to do as one watches humanity slowly destroy itself?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin