Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,872   Online: 1152

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    A new CVS near where I work has a brand-new shiny film processor, a Noritsu it appears, and is committed to processing film. They quoted me something like $3.95 for a DO/CD so I will definitely try them.
    Is the printer wet or is it one of those silly dry labs?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a Walgreens opening up two blocks from me. My three year old and I have been going over there once a week to see the progress. He loves seeing the equipment. I only shoot 35mm color for reference photos and snapshots. It will be nice to be able to walk the film down to the lab.

Mike

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Is the printer wet or is it one of those silly dry labs?
    Uh, that's a good question. I'll look closely or ask the next time I'm in.

I very seldom have prints made at a mini-lab. Last time was when I needed some prints (8x10) for a project quickly, and Walgreens did a surprisingly good job. They used a Frontier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've noticed some CVS do better than others based upon their equipment...The KIS minilab film scanners suck..usually.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    When Walgreens changed their film source, I carefully inspected the negatives and it was most definitely Fuji.

All Walgreens around here still process film.

A new CVS near where I work has a brand-new shiny film processor, a Noritsu it appears, and is committed to processing film. They quoted me something like $3.95 for a DO/CD so I will definitely try them.
    I "deal" with the Frontier cause it is the only one hour in my town. Our Walgreens store lost our wet lab due to costs and not enough profit. I wish they would at least get the film processor back. I can deal with shitty prints due to I really only want film to CD and print when needed. Luckily, if I'm in a bind like I am this week, I can drop a roll off at another store that my managers will pick up on their way into work. Definitely, Noritsu is the way to go for minilab processing....though those days are soon to be over for me...:-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecnichols View Post
    I work in the photo department at Walgreens. I will tell you that if you are doing mini-lab processing, find a Noritsu QSS store. They are much MUCH better than the Fujis.
    I'm sure this varies a lot depending on the competence of the people who run it and the condition of the machine. In my area, a local CVS has a Noritsu and a local Walgreens has a Fuji. The Walgreens produces much better prints. The prints from the CVS's Noritsu, whether they originate on film sent through their C-41 line or digital images I deliver, come out with a ghastly cyan cast and a "streaky" appearance that I associate with an inkjet cartridge that's on the verge of clogging up. (I don't know if the machine actually uses inkjet technology; it could be something else that just looks similar.) The Walgreens prints, although a bit high in contrast when they do the scanning, have decent color balance and a much smoother appearance. I also prefer the Walgreens prints because they're made on Fuji RA4 paper, vs. whatever non-RA4 technology the Noritsu uses. Therefore, if I get prints at Walgreens, I'm at least driving a small amount of demand for RA4 paper, which can only help long-term availability of same for my own use in my own darkroom.
    Rod Smith

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A new Walgreens opened about 25 miles away and the prints look geat, but I am not sure about the CD scans. The fact that they opened a lab shocked some people because that city had not had a store that would process 35mm on site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I'm sure this varies a lot depending on the competence of the people who run it and the condition of the machine. In my area, a local CVS has a Noritsu and a local Walgreens has a Fuji. The Walgreens produces much better prints. The prints from the CVS's Noritsu, whether they originate on film sent through their C-41 line or digital images I deliver, come out with a ghastly cyan cast and a "streaky" appearance that I associate with an inkjet cartridge that's on the verge of clogging up. (I don't know if the machine actually uses inkjet technology; it could be something else that just looks similar.) The Walgreens prints, although a bit high in contrast when they do the scanning, have decent color balance and a much smoother appearance. I also prefer the Walgreens prints because they're made on Fuji RA4 paper, vs. whatever non-RA4 technology the Noritsu uses. Therefore, if I get prints at Walgreens, I'm at least driving a small amount of demand for RA4 paper, which can only help long-term availability of same for my own use in my own darkroom.
    It does have a lot to do with who runs it. If you have someone who doesn't give a crap and doesn't judge orders, then you can get crappy results. Also, if it is not kept properly clean and the chemicals aren't replaced/replenished frequently, then you'll have bad results. Speaking for Walgreens, we have end of month machine cleaning and I know Walmart cleans at least a little once a month. I really miss our Noritsu....I really hate the NexLab. The quality is shitty and we has less control over the quality of the print (such as no red-eye control).

Shooter
    35mm
    My local walgreens does a bad job the two local CVS stores are decent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin