Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,083   Online: 911

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep, back as of April and most of my stuff (incl enlarger and CPA-2!) was picked up by the removalists today. Not really been active on apug or dyxum though, too busy with other stuff.

If you want a share of RA-4 chems, that's cool. Not sure whether I'll start with that or E-6; I think I'll probably just buy chems for all three processes in one big batch, stick them under the stairs and slowly have play with them all. If I can share stuff like bleach & fix between the processes, all the better.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Unfortunately, JDPhotochem is no longer doing business.
    Bugger! Now what am I going to do?

Peter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Thanks Athiril, I like your guide and will probably end up having to do something similar. But in terms of prices, consider that (at Ag) a 5L Kodak E-6 kit is $70, Fuji C-41 is $60 and C-41 is a bit cheaper - that makes the Vanbar numbers pretty depressing. I also didn't see Reversal Bath or Pre-Bleach in your list of E-6 stuff, though I assume Vanbar will have them.

Knowing that they keep for a long time is encouraging since I can just buy a monster kit of separate chems and share them with a couple other people, not that I know many locally (one?) who would be even vaguely interested in doing their own colour processing. Anyone here?
    Sorry I forgot about reversal bath because I dont use it, I take the film out and use light reversal after rinsing/washing after first developer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So, some final(?) questions and to confirm things I think I've read elsewhere:
    - I can use the same Bleach (Agfa 70 BL) for both E-6 and C-41; do I need to have a separate stash at working concentration for each process?
    - Can I use Kodak E-6 final rinse k399 on C-41 or Flexicolor Stabiliser k345 on E-6? (Tetenal sells the same thing for both so I assume so, but the Kodak E-6 rinse is half the price of their C-41)
    - does anyone know of a way to put together a ~10L RA-4 kit from AU supplies?

With respect to RA-4, Vanbar have a $90/2.5L Tetenal kit (seems poor value) or you can make up a 40L Fuji set for $290 (much too expensive for now). A Fuji kit (even if not a "kit") of about 5-10L would be nice!

This is what I plan to use; please tell me if I'm missing anything or any of this will cause me grief or sub-optimal results:
    E-6: Kodak E-6 first dev, reversal, colour dev and pre-bleach. Agfa 70BL. Kodak E-6 fix and final rinse.
    C-41: Kodak Flex LORR colour dev, Agfa 70 BL, Kodak E-6 fix and E-6 final rinse.

Edit: Total from Vanbar is $205 for E-6 and another $46 for the C-41 colour dev (the only component not shared).
    Edit2: I think those kxxx part numbers are Vanbar stock numbers not Kodak part numbers. Sorry.

thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have some RA-4 Ektacolor sitting around. The tetenal kit says its 5L kit for $90.

You dont use pre-bleach with Agfa 70BL. You rinse/wash between every step.

Kodak E-6 fix works brillo on both C-41 and E-6 at the recommend dilutions.

I cant comment on either of these two or 'final rinse' for RA-4, not having done it, or looked around on APUG for discussions on it.

I assume that the final rinse/stabiliser for both is fine, tetenal even have a 1L (makes 100L) of it for C41/E6 (both) for $34.10, its listed in colour->paper chemistry on Vanbar.

You also need a starter for that Kodak LORR colour dev iirc, vanbar doesn't list it.. ring them (Carlton) and ask if they have a starter for it. Im not sure if thats what the Tetenal Starter is for or not (its stranger to have starter for tetenal on its own like that).

I've made my own starter for flexicolor before.. I need to rediscover how I did it by taking the same steps again.. worked well.

In any case, Kodak SM Dev doesn't need a starter http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=56350 the litre per dollar ratio is a little higher though.

Otherwise I recommend this.. 20L worth of dev, $99
    Starter http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=58649
    Dev http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=58648

You need a starter for both the first dev and colour dev too fo E-6, but iirc they are all listed, and not expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Tetenal RA-4 description says 2.5L though. That's probably what I'll do unless I can buy a smaller qty (not 50L!) of Fuji/Kodak chems locally. At least the Tetenal states the area of paper processed; I haven't read enough of the ektacolor docs to figure out L/m^2 consumption.

Further reading in the Kodak E-6 manual says that you can use the C-41 stabiliser as a final rinse on E-6. That, in conjunction with Tetenal selling just the one, makes me believe that bit will be OK.

OK, Fuji looks like a good option for the C-41 colour dev even if it does mean buying twice as much. You're right (checked the docs) that there's an E-6 colour-dev starter but Vanbar don't seem to sell anything like that from any of the brands. I'll definitely have to get pricing from the local supplies joint.

Final assumption: Fuji C-41 colour-dev + Agfa 70 BL + Kodak E-6 fix is a seriously mongrel process. It should all still work with no disagreements between their various interpretations of the process though, right?

thanks for all the help!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    The Tetenal RA-4 description says 2.5L though. That's probably what I'll do unless I can buy a smaller qty (not 50L!) of Fuji/Kodak chems locally. At least the Tetenal states the area of paper processed; I haven't read enough of the ektacolor docs to figure out L/m^2 consumption.
    The Tetenal 2.5L kit is expensive and does not keep well. The developer is rather robust but the blix is NOT. Once it was already bad when I bought it and I live much closer to Germany than you. Unless you're pretty confident you'll use it quickly or not sure whether you'll continue printing I recommend to look for Kodak chemicals in 4x5L packages. Both dev and blix are split into four sets of 2 or 3 separate parts and are known to keep well. The cost of 20L of chemistry is less that 3 times the 2.5L kit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rather than start up the 40,000th thread on this particular topic, I thought I'd revive the one which most closely coincides with the problem I'm having. After reading too many of the aforementioned threads as well as links provided by numerous Australian C-41 process users (thank you Polyglot, Athiril and OldBikerPete!), I've run into the problem of sourcing particular chemicals. I think I can get everything I need from Vanbar; but I've had no luck with the bleach. Athiril linked to the Agfa 70BL but that isn't listed anywhere on Vanbar's site any more. I'm really trying to avoid the Tetenal kit (more because of the longevity issue surrounding Blix than anything else), but I might have to go with it by default. Photo Engineer has stated in another thread that E6 and C41 Fixer are interchangeable and I'm happy to take his word on that, especially considering the price difference. This is my shopping list sans bleach thus far:

No Brand Description Quantity AUD (Ex. GST) AUD (In. GST) USD Price
    1. Kodak -Flex SM Unit Dv 2 ltr
    1 @ $20.00
    = $20.00
    1 @ $22.00
    = $22.00
    1 @ $19.60
    = $19.60

Kodak +E-6 Fixer & repl > 10lt
    1 @ $5.70
    = $5.70
    1 @ $6.27
    = $6.27
    1 @ $5.59
    = $5.59
    3. Kodak Flex SM Final Rinse 1.5 ltr
    1 @ $5.70
    = $5.70
    1 @ $6.27
    = $6.27
    1 @ $5.59
    = $5.59
    Total
    $31.40
    $34.54
    $30.77

Do I have this right and where/how are the rest of you getting your hands on the bleach????

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Would anyone be able to check my previous post and let me know if I have the correct items on my shopping list and, also, if there are any Victorian, Australians about could you please tell me where I can get my hands on the Kodak Bleach III or its equivalent somewhere near by? Thank You!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i was just doing a search on this!
    i started my own C-41 developing the other day with a JOBO CPE2, and a Jobo Press kit.
    but im after a better option. i just looked up the Digibase kits from Macodirect, but 40Euro post with a minimum 40Euro order was a bit much.
    my photo blog;
    www.jamesruff.net
    Flickr
    35mm/6x4.5/6x6/6x7/6x17/4x5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin