Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,776   Online: 822

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei Digibase C-41 kits in at Freestyle

Good news! The title sums it up. I just got my new catalog in the mail today, and the kits are on page 38. It is pretty affordable; almost comparable to the cost per roll that I get by reusing the old (discontinued) Kodak one-gallon kit once (32 rolls for about $50). 10-12 roll kit is $18 and 20-24 roll kit is $30. The bottles are shown, and the kit has a separate bleach and fixer, like the bona fide C-41 process.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Good news! The title sums it up. I just got my new catalog in the mail today, and the kits are on page 38. It is pretty affordable; almost comparable to the cost per roll that I get by reusing the old (discontinued) Kodak one-gallon kit once (32 rolls for about $50). 10-12 roll kit is $18 and 20-24 roll kit is $30. The bottles are shown, and the kit has a separate bleach and fixer, like the bona fide C-41 process.
    I noticed these as well, and am quite interested. I've been wanting to try C-41 processing for sometime now. Never having done C-41 before, I am however concerned about the safety of the stabilizer due to the formaldehyde. I was wondering, is it possible with modern color films to omit this step? I think I remember some talk about another (safer) chemical mixture that could be substituted for stabilizer (called final rinse) made by Kodak and available at Adorama. This is my only concern about doing C-41. These kits do look nice, though, and are probably what I'd want to use (sans stabilizer if at all possible - please let it be possible!!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    I noticed these as well, and am quite interested. I've been wanting to try C-41 processing for sometime now. Never having done C-41 before, I am however concerned about the safety of the stabilizer due to the formaldehyde. I was wondering, is it possible with modern color films to omit this step? I think I remember some talk about another (safer) chemical mixture that could be substituted for stabilizer (called final rinse) made by Kodak and available at Adorama. This is my only concern about doing C-41. These kits do look nice, though, and are probably what I'd want to use (sans stabilizer if at all possible - please let it be possible!!).
    Stabilizer has not been part of the C-41 process for some time. It was replaced with Final Rinse.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw this and am looking forward to trying it in my Phototherm...!

Now if someone could make an E6 kit like this, we'd be all set ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This makes me so excited. I have been building my darkroom for the past couple of months and want to dive into color processing! All the reading I have done points to the separate bleach and fix steps, and now an affordable way to do so! One question though, all the reading has also pointed to using Stabilizer in the process. What's the difference between this and Final Rinse? Does Final Rinse not have formalin in it at all? When did Final Rinse become the "norm" if it is?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check this thread for an explanation of the differences between the older Stabilizer (with formalin) and the newer Final Rinse (with a proprietary replacement for the formalin):

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/7...ml#post1022373

Note that the older Stabilizer can be used for all films, while Final Rinse only works with the newer films.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Check this thread for an explanation of the differences between the older Stabilizer (with formalin) and the newer Final Rinse (with a proprietary replacement for the formalin):

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/7...ml#post1022373

Note that the older Stabilizer can be used for all films, while Final Rinse only works with the newer films.
    Thanks! That helped a lot.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Received my Digibase C-41 kit from Freestyle a week or so ago and I'm excited to try it.

I still have some capacity left in my Arista chems. I had great joy from the Arista set so I'm expecting even better from the Digibase.

Life is Great !
    - Bill Lynch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin