Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,837   Online: 794

Shooter
    35mm

Options for C-41 at home without formaldehyde but with separate bleach and fix?

What are my options? I hear that it is possible to get away with substituting a formaldehyde-free option for the traditional stabilizer for newer C-41 films. Is this true? What is the solution that one substitutes? As of right now, I get my C-41 processed via minilab, so I'm assuming my film hasn't gone through the formalin stabilizer. Making the transition to home processing, I see the new Rollei kit offers a separate bleach and fix, which is great. But what could I substitute for the stabilizer, which contians a known carcinogen? Is "Kodak Final Rinse" a valid substitute and is it free of formaldehyde? Or is there something else I should be looking for?

What about getting rid of the stabilizer? Once I renew my membership, are there people on apug to whom I could sell the Rollei Stabilizer who would be looking for it? How about shipping and shipping cost of hazardous chemicals?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stabilizer is not used any more. It is formalin-free Final Rinse.

Don't drink your chemicals, wear gloves if you want, and dispose of them at a proper facility, and you and the environment will be fine even with the older Stabilizer.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check this thread for the differences between older Kodak's Stabilizer, and it's current Final Rinse:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/7...ml#post1022373

And here is the MSDS information for the new Rollei kit. The stabilizer information starts on page 31. I am not a chemist, and therefore am unable to tell you whether the compounds listed therein are different from formalin, but they don't say that they are formalin:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/ms...e_C_41_Kit.pdf

I would point out as well that just because Kodak called the older chemical Stabilizer, doesn't mean that anyone else's stabilizer contains the same chemical components - it is probably more of a general, descriptive term.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the current official formula doesn't contain formalin anymore, so probably the Rollei kit doesn't either.

Furthermore, the formalin content of stabilizer solution was so low that it doesn't cause any real problems in normal, safe usage. Formalin exists almost everywhere today and is a source of allergic reactions, more than a carsinogen. It's used in some fabrics in furniture etc., so if you want to avoid it, you have to be very careful. Good thing in stabilizer is that you KNOW it has a minute amount of formalin so you can be careful; the "hidden" formalin around us is, though, a real problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put it in perspective. I know the hazards of formalin, but that said, the 1L bottle I bought about 7 years ago has had perhaps 12-15mL draw from it to date, and I do use the solutions regularly. A 1L batch of photo flow with 1mL of formalin in it as a final rinse (that I use for all c-41 home brew processed, and b&w processed, and e-6 home brew processed) will last a very long time before the wetting characteristics begin to break down and it has to get tossed.

My working space has good exhaust extraction, and I am sure to have the exhaust fan on high, and my full face shield, filter mask, lab coat and nitrile gloves on when I mix up the less than wonderful for your health chems associated with many colour processes & certain b&w developing agents.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Kodak process uses no formaldehyde and a separate bleach and fix.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    35mm
    I looked at the MSDS for the stabilizer. I'm not familiar with the organic compound that is listed. Is it certain that this isn't something that reacts with another chemical to form an aldehyde?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No it isn't.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin