Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,661   Posts: 1,623,874   Online: 909

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    RPC, thanks. I imagine that if it has such a short life it may not be good in the roller processor, but may work well used one shot in a Jobo.

What did you find wrong with the image quality when adding sulfite?

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    What did you find wrong with the image quality when adding sulfite?
    As PE said in an earlier post, Dmax is reduced, especially with the the cyan dye. But it may work for you depending on how much contrast reduction you want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RA4 developer without HAS suffers from short shelf life and short tank life. It tends to form a lot of gum and tar on the prints if used too much.

ECN and ECP manage this but do use a Sulfuric Acid stop. I suspect that it is to remove the gum and tar if any.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I tested adding the sulfite to the Kodak RA4 developer I already had mixed up. I tried .5g/l and then .7g/l. There was a minor drop in contrast at .5g/l and a bit more at .7g/l. I was using Fuji Type C glossy, and .7g/l brought the contrast down enough to print a few of my negatives that were only mildly too high in contrast. On the Type C I noticed no change in color balance from prints I had made earlier. I tried a few sheets of Type II and on that paper there seemed to be a change in color balance from before.

I haven't printed enough yet to know if .7g/l is the optimal amount, but it sure is a major improvement. Given that we now only have one grade of contrast it may be that we need to stock a few grades of developer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin