Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,788   Online: 787

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

I miss Color EIR film

I have searched for a topic like this and couldn't find anything like it, I apologize if there is something already.

I truly miss color infrared film - I have one more 11 year old expired roll in the freezer and it is grain city. It makes complete sense from an economic standpoint why it was discontinued, but is there any snowball's chance it could ever come back in any form at all? Efke, Rollei and Illford all have come out with BW infrared solutions (some true, some not, but still fantastic and better than nothing). Why would kodak not license the emulsion technology to someone else to create in small batches, is that even possible? Why hasn't anyone else tried to develop anything like it?
    I realize there is a lot of fiscal naivety involved in my questions here, but is there any chance?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is nothing to licence, it's old technology.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the long thread about HIE PE discussed the problems with making HIE. The problems are similar with EIR.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What about making up your own colour separation images including a separation for IR by shooting a panchromatic/IR film with different filters? E.g. you could use r,g,b, and IR filters, shoot three or four separate frames, and then combine them as you wish to produce a colour neg or positive. It could be done in a purely analogue way. Since the IR films on the market are really edge-visible, I think I'd be tempted to shoot with g and b filters and use an IR filter for red + IR.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Color EIR is still available...sort of...

Contact Dean Bennici

www.bennici.net

He buys Aerochrome rolls and cuts them down to 120 size.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    The bad news is that the Aerochrome film he cuts down is also discontinued...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the pleasure of shooting one roll of EIR a few years ago. In retrospect, I should have respooled it to three rolls so I could learn a little as I went. I discovered the film is not so great with inorganics, (concrete, steel, etc.) but wonderful with foliage, fabric and flesh. (the three "F"s?) I really should Pick up some of Dean's 120. This film is too good to be gone yet.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dean just got one of the last rolls and product is currently available from him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish the Aerochrome wasn't discontinued!!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Uh, just thinking out loud here, couldn't we replicate EIR with black and white films plus colour separation filters? For example, take a photo with infrared film, then b/w film with a red filter, then another b/w photo with a green filter. Then use the infrared photo as the red channel, the red photo as the green channel, and the green photo as the blue channel?

I was reading the wiki page on infrared photos and it said this about EIR:
    Color infrared transparency films have three sensitized layers that, because of the way the dyes are coupled to these layers, reproduce infrared as red, red as green, and green as blue.
    Any thoughts?

Edit: Someone beat me to it, I just read keithwms post. In theory, I think our ideas should work, but I don't know about in practice.
    Last edited by happyjam64; 09-04-2010 at 04:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin