Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,604   Online: 639

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

KODAK & FUJI COLOUR PAPER IM NOT HAPPY!

Ok something I and other pro lab owners have put up with for years has been end roll paper wastage. I'm not talking a meter of two I'm talking about 10-20 percent of a roll. I use Kodak and Fuji Matte, Gloss and Luster in roll sizes up to 50inch these are not cheap rolls of paper and so I expect to be able to use the entire roll (will exception of the last meter).

The reason the rolls are ruined for the last 10 percent is Surface defects due to how the paper rolls are wound onto the cardboard central core. The rolls for the last 10-20 percent get a linear surface change that can be seen very easily when gallery lighting is at an angle to the image.

When printing Mural prints from galleries and museums such defects simply arn't acceptable. Why doesnt kodak or fuji fix this problem? Ilford rolls don't have this problem with their paper rolls.

Both Fuji and Kodak are making nice papers but this just annoys me to no end.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen,

Not a direct response as I only have stock of 20x24" cut sheet, but how do you work with such large and crinkle prone rolls of paper in total darkness, - an auto paper dispenser?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    yea paper coffins which you can program paper lenghts into. for example earlier in the week i needed to make prints 50inches x 3.5 meters so i set the machine to eject 1 meter then rolled it then ejected another meter then rolled it then another meter and rolled it and then another half meter and rolled it in total darkness. Then with my 3.5 meters of paper in a roll it wont dent and I can safely unroll it on a vacuum wall. Only after all this work carefully cutting the paper exposing it and processing it you discover oh thanks Kodak or thanks Fuji for selling me 15 meters of ruined paper surface because of the way they roll paper onto their cores!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd be pissed too
    hope you can find a solution but it doesn't sound hopeful

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    yea paper coffins which you can program paper lenghts into. for example earlier in the week i needed to make prints 50inches x 3.5 meters so i set the machine to eject 1 meter then rolled it then ejected another meter then rolled it then another meter and rolled it and then another half meter and rolled it in total darkness. Then with my 3.5 meters of paper in a roll it wont dent and I can safely unroll it on a vacuum wall. Only after all this work carefully cutting the paper exposing it and processing it you discover oh thanks Kodak or thanks Fuji for selling me 15 meters of ruined paper surface because of the way they roll paper onto their cores!!!!
    so you are exposing the paper optically via a horizontal enlarger?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    so you are exposing the paper optically via a horizontal enlarger?

Tom
    I am indeed. I have 2 durst 2501 horizontal enlargers on 8 meter tracks and 2 vacuum walls for prints up to 4meters by 72inches. though i only have paper processes capable of processing up to 50inch. Please visit link below to see my set up.

http://thelighthouselab.blogspot.com...rough-lab.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve;

Have you complained to Kodak or Fuji?

If not, I think it in your interests and theirs that you do so.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen,

The DeVere 5108 looks miniature in the context of your set-up.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Steve;

Have you complained to Kodak or Fuji?

If not, I think it in your interests and theirs that you do so.

PE
    Yep and I'm not the only one who's complaining. Its been an issue labs here have had for years but like most product complaints in Australia.... Theres never any change. I'de love to know is this is a world wide product issue or weather its just Australia gets short changed.
    Last edited by Stephen Frizza; 09-04-2010 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Steve, you know they send all the rubbish to Australia, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin