Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,681   Posts: 1,482,196   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palec View Post
    Wasn't it only 2 years ago when new Portra 400VC-3 was introduced? This age-cycle in Kodak films starts to resemble digital camera replacement model.
    Products are always updated when they have new technology to make them better. Is this a problem for you and if it is, then why? Unlike camera models, you don't have to buy anything new to support the new features; you have to buy a new roll of film anyway when you have shot the entire roll. You'll get the better product automatically. Is this a problem for you?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    I really liked the laid-back natural look of 400NC.
    I will miss it too. Anyway, the new film will be amazing, I'm sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgK View Post
    Sorry, but can you give me any practical connection between "digital camera product lifecycle", and "colour print film product lifecycle"?
    Skipping marketing - bringing something new as often as possible - which is not practical to end user, I feel it's the learning curve, once the photographers settled on their tools, they have been obsoleted again.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see a big problem here, it appears that the 400NC in 8x10 will be gone, the new Portra 400 is only introduced up to 4x5
    This mean no 400 ISO color negative film in 8x10 this is really sad news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Products are always updated when they have new technology to make them better. Is this a problem for you and if it is, then why? Unlike camera models, you don't have to buy anything new to support the new features; you have to buy a new roll of film anyway when you have shot the entire roll. You'll get the better product automatically. Is this a problem for you?
    You're right, and I'm not contradicting you. I only stated that the time gaps between revisions/replacements are getting shorter. And for someone working on long term projects probably too short.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    palec,

Kodak's main principle has been to improve products in such a way that they need minimum or no learning. This has been case for Portra-2, Portra-3 that are sensitometrically perfectly the same, only sharpness and grain has improved a bit at a time which most if not all users find good. Even the transition from Vericolor to Portra was slight in the terms of learning.

So, the transition from NC&VC to new 400 is not anything seen in the 2000's. And it's probably done for economical reasons. (And still, the transition will probably be very minor. There's actually nothing special to "learn", since you can only go one way, start using the new product and I'm sure it's best used in the same way the older ones were.)

So, NOTHING is "obsoleted", and there is NO learning curve. You are simply wrong. I would like to ask you if you have really compared these products, or even looked at their datasheets of the Portra generations (1, 2, 3)? They simply provided the same great results without any need for any new learning! There's no "conspiracy" here and absolutely nothing to whine about! It's only a good thing that they get updated quickly and it's a sign of involvement.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Makes sense and shows how cine emulsion research links to current and future photo film options. It also amounts to a factual counter-argument to this recent meandering and sometimes nonsensical thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...odak-fuji.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Yet more options in color printing, gone. Soon we will have only a couple, optimized-for-scanning color negative films, and one, optimized-for-digital-printing, RA-4 paper. After all, just do all your adjustments in photoshop in you don't like it.
    f/22 and be there.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like this will be a middle of the road Portra, what I am wondering is if you can get it to act like VC or NC by moving a half stop either way. It is nice that they are bringing it out in several formats, it looks like they noticed that people are using formats other than 135.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palec View Post
    Wasn't it only 2 years ago when new Portra 400VC-3 was introduced? This age-cycle in Kodak films starts to resemble digital camera replacement model.
    This is rather different and is the start of a rationalisation in film products that we can expect from all companies across their film ranges.

Ian

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin