Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,397   Online: 744

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    "Good news" is that offerings continue as 135, 120, 220 and 4x5. They have to keep on coating at least three master rolls to support all of these formats. It's more important than supporting two slightly different "versions" IMHO.

It's surprising that so many only slightly different emulsions have survived so far.

I guess that the same is going to happen for 160VC&NC soon, especially when there's Ektar for higher saturation.

If we compare to *******, there's still only one type of CCD's available with only one color rendition and contrast even in 2010 .

Also, maintaining the lower contrast but adding a little bit of saturation sounds quite fine to me!
    Exactly where is the "Good News"??????

In the past few years:
    • UltraColor 400 and 160 were discontinued
    • Vivid Color 400 and 160 are to be discontinued
    • Ektar 100 which in no where near the speed of UltraColor and Vivid Color nor has the quality of either is all there is left if stronger color saturation is desired
    So please point out exactly were the is any "Good News"?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People will see exactly want they want to see in this product consolidation announcement. But Kodak's long-term strategic goals have not changed. Nor will they by the time of the next consolidation announcement.

The dance continues...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    If we see the same consolidation with the 160 Portras, I wonder if the future is gong to be Portra = neutral and Ektar = exaggerated. In which case, perhaps an Ektar 400 is a possibility.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    If we see the same consolidation with the 160 Portras, I wonder if the future is gong to be Portra = neutral and Ektar = exaggerated. In which case, perhaps an Ektar 400 is a possibility.
    Perhaps...but for now, I cannot see getting rid of two tasty films to make way for one that averages them as a good thing for photographic artistry.

None of this would be happening if there was a growing market for film, or possibly even a stable one, but there is not. One day, and I would guess that it will be a lot sooner than many of us expect, there is going to be no market for it that makes it financially worthy of continued production...and then it will simply be gone. So, teach people to use and love film. It needs new adopters, because we who already use it sure aren't doing the trick.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-14-2010 at 01:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they could only have one Portra emulsion in this speed, I would have preferred that they had kept the saturation of the NC film. Before we had a choice about saturation, and now we will have none. There is no way that this is good news.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    If they could only have one Portra emulsion in this speed, I would have preferred that they had kept the saturation of the NC film. Before we had a choice about saturation, and now we will have none. There is no way that this is good news.
    It is only good news from the "anything is better than nothing" standpoint...which certainly has value, given the obvious state of film demand.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Looks like this will be a middle of the road Portra, what I am wondering is if you can get it to act like VC or NC by moving a half stop either way.
    My thoughts exactly, and one of the reasons a lot of people like the fuji 400h-- it can be vivid or subdued depending on how you expose it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpberger View Post
    My thoughts exactly, and one of the reasons a lot of people like the fuji 400h-- it can be vivid or subdued depending on how you expose it.
    Hmm, I do like this film, but I did not know that it is so flexible. Please do tell me how you achive this!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jpberger View Post
    I hope this is the case as well, portra 400nc was one of the main reasons I shot with medium format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although it's sad that things are changing (and change breeds uncertainty) whatever Kodak can do to remain profitable is good in my book. I think consolidating their line is a good, if not somewhat sad, solution.

Now it's up to us to determine how far these new films can be stretched.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin