Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,124   Online: 942

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Professional Portra 400

Good news

Kodak

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good news that Portra NC and VC have been discontinued? Portra 400 VC was an incredible film; it was the only one of is type. What a terrible loss!

I wonder if the new Portra 400 is just 400 NC or VC repackaged, or if it is truly a new emulsion.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    What will happen to the existing KODAK PROFESSIONAL 400NC and 400VC Films?
    -The new PORTRA 400 Film replaces the existing KODAK PROFESSIONAL PORTRA 400NC and 400VC offerings.
    Judging by the Q&A this is a new film somewhere in between NC and VC in terms of saturation and the same as NC for contrast.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for pointing out the charts. Must be a new emulsion. Hardly worth the loss of the existing two, IMHO. They have condensed two films with a lot of character into a middle-of-the-road emulsion. Not that it is going to be a bad film. I don't think there is such a thing these days. Just sad to see the other two go, especially the VC.

Also, looks like it is available in pro packs only, up to 4x5 format, including 220.

This is all moving too quickly. I don't have enough money to stock up on everything I want to stock up on (400NC, TXP, Pro 800Z, T64, etc.).
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-14-2010 at 10:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Good news that Portra NC and VC have been discontinued?
    It's good news that Kodak is continuing to do R&D on new films and continuing to release new films. 400PortraNC was an amazing film; Kodak set the bar awfully damn high. I can't believe that they can continue to raise that bar. Yet their track record is superb.

Good on Kodak. I look forward to what promises to be an excellent new film.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Portra 400NC and 400VC were already only available in pro-packs. So that's not a change with Portra 400.

Looks like I may have to dial down saturation of 400 sometimes when scanning. I really liked the laid-back natural look of 400NC.

Important thing is that they maintained the low contrast of 400NC, so it will have great dynamic range.

It will be interesting to see how long Fuji keeps selling 400H...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Good news" is that offerings continue as 135, 120, 220 and 4x5. They have to keep on coating at least three master rolls to support all of these formats. It's more important than supporting two slightly different "versions" IMHO.

It's surprising that so many only slightly different emulsions have survived so far.

I guess that the same is going to happen for 160VC&NC soon, especially when there's Ektar for higher saturation.

If we compare to *******, there's still only one type of CCD's available with only one color rendition and contrast even in 2010 .

Also, maintaining the lower contrast but adding a little bit of saturation sounds quite fine to me!

Shooter
    35mm
    Looking at the TechPub, the "Print Grain Index" of Portra400 falls exactly inbetween 160VC and 400NC, which sounds very promising. Sharpness seems to be the same as in the "old" emulsion.
    The reduction to one single 400ASA Portra film makes sense in the actual market and shows real committement to the future of film. An alterantive strategy (which some people seem to favor) would be just to keep on producing dozens of existing types and formats without any investment, but then they would soon say "Oh, it is not economical anymore, so lets stop production at all".

Georg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wasn't it only 2 years ago when new Portra 400VC-3 was introduced? This age-cycle in Kodak films starts to resemble digital camera replacement model.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by palec View Post
    Wasn't it only 2 years ago when new Portra 400VC-3 was introduced? This age-cycle in Kodak films starts to resemble digital camera replacement model.
    Sorry, but can you give me any practical connection between "digital camera product lifecycle", and "colour print film product lifecycle"?

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin