Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,542   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Ektar 125

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Ektar 125

I just picked up a box of this in 35mm format and wonder if anyone knows where I can pick up a spec sheet? With all the info on the more recent Kodak Ektar 100, I am not coming up with anything on this older version. I see a lot of mention on the siblings - Ektar 25 and Ektar 1000, but not much on this.

As you can see, these expired back in 4/92 and I am wondering if this is a treasure chest or box of trash now?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No matter what was has been said about Ektar 125 you will have to test your stock of old film yourself. There is not way to tell how it compares to when it was fresh by just looking at the box. It may be OK for your needs but there is no way it will be as good as fresh Ektar 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't help you there, but, you need to share your treasure!
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    From memory even when fresh it looked underexposed when shot at 125 ISO. So when you test it try 80 ISO maybe.
    I reckon it will be trash rather than treasure!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It has nothing to do with the current Ektar 100 but a name and a fact that it's a color negative film.

Overexpose expired film because of
    a) speed loss of silver halide
    b) increased fog level (you have to place your exposure on the top of the fog)

In addition, color neg films sustain overexposure quite well.

So, I would overexpose it as much as two stops. Test different exposures such as ISO 80, 50, 32. Process normally, but you can try also pull processing if the fog is problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice score! Now if that was ektar 25... that might be even more interesting.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiecameras View Post
    I reckon it will be trash rather than treasure!
    Even if you'd consider it trash there are certainly people who would gladly buy it.

One man's trash is another treasure.

Shooter
    35mm
    hrst nailed it - 2 stops slower then original rated speed. After the first two test rolls - first shot at ISO125, and the second at 64 with + or - underexposure range, third times a charm at ISO32 . . . bingo!

It has excellent saturation/vibrance, great latitude, grain that rivals even today's fresh Kodak Ektar 100 with excellent sharpness . Yeah I would say it's treasure!

Link for full res 1Meg file - http://www.fototime.com/36997315C6B5E61/orig.jpg

Link for full res 500K file - http://www.fototime.com/AD5F7BE01FBFF9E/orig.jpg

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I loved that film back in the 80's, that is quite the score and I see that it looks every bit as good as I remember it looking, well, once you get the exposure right. So, will you be sharing, or using it all yourself?
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    Les, C41 film of this era probably needs a formalin based stabiliser. The switch to non formalin based "final rinse" was done in 2000. Your film expired in 1992. Long term stability of your negatives will be compromised. This thread has a formula that will work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin