Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,589   Online: 986

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Non RA Kodak C41 process - repost

For everyone here, I am reposting the Kodak C41 instructions along with capacity of the developer.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C41 capacity.jpg   C41 process.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am trying to come up with the most economical system that does not skimp on quality, so I would like to run a combination past the group:

If a user were to purchase 1 Photographers' Formulary kit along with a 10 liter bottle of developer/replenisher, the rough total at late 2010 prices (including estimates of tax and shipping) would be about $70. With this combination, I think that there would be enough developer to process about 44 rolls, single shot. This combo would run about $1.60 per roll, if the other process solutions could be stretched to process that entire load. If a user had to buy another kit, 4 more rolls could be processed and the total would rise to about $100 - about $2 a roll. This seems pretty economical for a system that would be based on Kodak chemistry. Based on Photo Engineer posts, it is my understanding that even with basic care, a user should expect the developer concentrate to last at least 6 months, so in order for this system to work, one would have to shoot about 50 rolls in 6 months, or about 2 per week. If someone shot a lot more than 50 rolls in that time, buying the 5 gallon replenisher would greatly reduce the per-roll cost.

A few questions:
    1) Do you have to buy starter, as well, or can the PF kit's developer be replenished directly?
    2) What is a conservative estimate of the capacity of a liter the other Kodak process solutions aside from the developer?
    3) What is the flaw in my plan?
    4) How long can a mixed liter of developer sit, realistically? Does a shooter have to process a roll a week? Every two weeks?
    5) The per roll cost of the Trebla Filmpac kit is significantly lower than this system, so what is the catch there? There seems to be no strong opinion either way about that kit, even though it seems like what people are looking for. I am suspicious, and am leaning toward a Kodak system, but I am really interested to hear about people's opinions about that.

Thanks, everyone, for reading my initial post, and thanks for your responses.
    Bill Henderson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thelawoffives View Post
    5) The per roll cost of the Trebla Filmpac kit is significantly lower than this system, so what is the catch there? There seems to be no strong opinion either way about that kit, even though it seems like what people are looking for. I am suspicious, and am leaning toward a Kodak system, but I am really interested to hear about people's opinions about that.
    No catch, works great. I have used them a year or more.

The same chemicals are used reliably by many mini labs everyday, if they were problematic the likes of Liberty, Pakor, and other mini lab supplies would not be offering them.

Kodak's and Trebla's kits are both professional quality chemical packs.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trebla chemicals (Albert backwards) is made by a group of former Kodak engineers from the Photographic Technology Division. The chemistry is good, but IDK the capacity of the new RA chemistry, nor do I know the capacity of the new Bleach III. If you use these or the Trebla equivalent, I cannot help.

You do not need replenisher for Bleach and Fix, provided you run them to completion.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

more thoughts

What about the liquid tetnal kit from B&H? Is that still available? I used it and it worked well.

Now I use the kodak chemsitry. I agree with most all that's posted about it except that storing it is no problem - it's not *that* bulky. Finding places that will ship the bleach is the hardest part. Expect hazmat shipping charges on at least the bleach and possibly the dev and fix also. Following the instructions to use it is no worse than any other C-41 chemsitry, IMO.

ThelawofFives: I can run 44 rolls+ of film in 5L (not 10L) of chemistry, using a Phototherm SSK-4, with one-shot developer. So if you need to use 10L to do that many rolls, you may want to investigate some other methods perhaps.

I figured out my per-roll cost at well under $1/roll, using the kodak chemsitry.

Also useful in this list would be a list of places (mailorder), what they sell, and what they will ship.

I bought what I have from Pakor.com, they shipped it all fine (hazmat charges apply on top of normal shipping charges). Adorama will ship all except the bleach, I think. B&H wont' ship much - possibly dev starter, dev (?) and final rinse (?).

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Trebla chemicals (Albert backwards) is made by a group of former Kodak engineers from the Photographic Technology Division. The chemistry is good, but IDK the capacity of the new RA chemistry, nor do I know the capacity of the new Bleach III. If you use these or the Trebla equivalent, I cannot help.

You do not need replenisher for Bleach and Fix, provided you run them to completion.

PE
    PE, you beat me to the punch about "Trebla" being "Albert" spelled backwards. As a little bit of historical trivia, a key person in the startup of Trebla was named Albert. There was a non-compete clause which prevented him from using his name in a business competitive with Kodak. Consequently, they called the company "Trebla" which is "Albert" spelled backward.

Trebla chemicals are marketed mainly to the mini-lab business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thelawoffives View Post
    I am trying to come up with the most economical system that does not skimp on quality...
    Any update on your experiences so far? I'm thinking about doing my own 120 C-41 processing.

Shooter
    35mm

Corrections, additions

Only the not mentioned Tetenal kit is called a "press kit." Unicolor identifies theirs as K2. The latter is available in a 2L size from Freestyle that with shipping puts it at $39 or so. That's about the most economical for easy to get/ship products.

The Digibase kit IS Fuji-Hunt. I wonder why they use "digi" in the product name, eh? Anyway, it appears to be the most economical short of large Kodak offerings, but it's not available until March. Maco in Germany has it in stock, I wonder what the US problem is?

I can't recall if the Tetenal kit uses a stabilizer or not, and I'm too lazy to look it up. I sorta recall that it doesn't, which if true, is a big negative. No pun intended. The old Paterson kit didn't.

I question why you claim the Unicolor kit can give "Inconsistent results" and "Inaccurate color." With so many processing variables as color work has, any product might be inconsistent or inaccurate. The dry powder chemicals are probably exactly what the liquid kits originally start with, no less. Fortunately for those of us scanning instead of printing, most variances are probably not so critical, either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    I question why you claim the Unicolor kit can give "Inconsistent results" and "Inaccurate color." With so many processing variables as color work has, any product might be inconsistent or inaccurate. The dry powder chemicals are probably exactly what the liquid kits originally start with, no less. Fortunately for those of us scanning instead of printing, most variances are probably not so critical, either.
    I don't use the Tetanol or Unicolor kits so I can't answer for them but for the Kodak and Trebla Chemicals the only reason I can see for inconsistent results is truly sloppy processing.

Even when I was just learning and working with a water bath heated with a fish tank heater and a hot pad and a microwave oven to control temp the results were very consistent.

If you follow the directions consistently C-41 is incredibly consistent and reliable and easy and more tolerant than most people imagine.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The dry powder kits are not exactly the same chemistry as the liquid kits due to the difficulty in packing Formalin, Photo Flo and Ammonium Hypo as solids. Therefore, they either omit them or use substitutes. This changes the action of the dry powder kits when mixed. Close, but no cigar!

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin