Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,278   Online: 855

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei Digibase CR200 - Dwayne's refusal to process

Got a note yesterday from Dwayne's that they would be returning unprocessed the two rolls of CR200 I sent them with my latest Kodachrome batch. They said they couldn't process it because of the polyester base. Does anyone know why that is a problem and who can process it? I really don't want to start doing E-6 at home because I don't do enough to make it economical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polyester base doesn't break so can damage machinery, Ilford have said they'll never use it for 35mm films again, there were issues with their 72ex 35mm films a few years ago.

It's not advised for normal camera use as damage can be caused to wind mechanisms, motor drives etc, mainly because the sprocket holes won't rip if there's a jam, this is the same with certain types of processor.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PET is indeed tear resistant, this shouln't be a problem with most photo machines as they don't use the sprocket for film transport even roller transports use leaders that move on drive cogs so the film is untouched by the machine drives.
    It is possible if they have a roller transport they are worried about the blades cutting the end of the film-not an issue if the blades are sharp.
    Anyone with a dip and dunk should be happy to process as will deep tank handline process.
    Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My understanding is that Dwayne's is the last lab running the K-14 process (Kodachromes).
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    My understanding is that Dwayne's is the last lab running the K-14 process (Kodachromes).
    Rollei Digibase CR200 is E6 IIRC.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marylandphoto View Post
    Rollei Digibase CR200 is E6 IIRC.
    Yes. Only reason I sent it to Dwayne's was that I was sending them Kodachrome anyway and it was easier to post one package.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Polyester base doesn't break so can damage machinery, Ilford have said they'll never use it for 35mm films again, there were issues with their 72ex 35mm films a few years ago.

It's not advised for normal camera use as damage can be caused to wind mechanisms, motor drives etc, mainly because the sprocket holes won't rip if there's a jam, this is the same with certain types of processor.

Ian
    Are people having problems with normal motor drives?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dwaynes use a motion picture processor for their Kodachrome line, maybe they're running a similar thing for E6. How it works with the kodachrome is that all the rolls are spliced together and run through the machine as a continous roll. If you were to get some a jam in a machine like that with a polyester based film, you'd be looking at some problems.

I've used plenty of polyester based films in my 35mm cameras (with motor drives) and have never had a problem. I've never heard one story on APUG of a camera fault chalked up to a polyester based film either. And there's enough of us here...Remember, Kodak HIE and EIR were on a polyester base too. It's not just those nasty folks from Rollei.

Take it to another lab and be up front about the fact it's polyester based and ask if they would have any problems with that. Apparently Dwaynes do, and that's good to know. My local lab doesnt.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Must be a fairly recent change---they processed several rolls of CR200 for me a year or so ago. Maybe they actually had something go wrong.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Or maybe Joe was clearing the film instead of Fred. Try calling them. Or just send them back again. They might run them.
    --Nicholas Andre

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin