Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,266   Online: 1006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Inexpensive way to get prints from slides

I've been shooting some Fuji Provia on 120 lately and I really love the way that the slides look, but I was horrified when I discovered the cost to get an 8x10 print from a slide. The lab I use had to make a 35mm interneg to get a 35mm neg to print from. The whole thing wound up costing around $20 for one 8x10 color print. I do now have the 35mm negative so I can print more which would lower the cost ultimately.

Is there a better way to get a print from a 120 slide or a 4x5 slide? And is it always going to be around $20? Is this a case where scanning to digital might be better when looking to keep cost down?

Thanks,

William
    "I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For good results, digital or conventional, $20 isn't too unusual for a custom print. It's actually not a bad price. Check out Clone-A-Chrome, which does Cibas and digital (including digital Cibas!):

http://www.cloneachrome.com/pricelist.html#

or www.westcoastimaging.com, which does digital, either high-end inkjet or Chromira.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any modern digital minilab will usually print direct from 35mm and 120 slides and give excellent results, the price should be no different from a similar print from C41 films. After all they are scanning all the negs before printing anyway.

However if the minilab is analog (still using an interal enlarger ) then an interneg is needed.

Unfortunately larger format s can't be scanned yet by digital minilabs, but they can print from CD etc if you can get the slides scanned.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    www.westcoastimaging.com, which does digital, either high-end inkjet or Chromira.
    I use West Coast Imaging exclusively for my printing. With shipping, it costs me around $200 for an initial Exhibition quality 11x14 Chromira print (subsequent prints are much cheaper). They simply do outstanding work.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hate to say this here, but the CHEAPEST, would be to get a cheap Epson Perfection XXXX scanner (they have had 4 models so you should be able to get a cheap older on....in fact I am selling one that is in o.k. shape if interested), scan the slide, and then save it to CD for output on Frontier machine. You get Crystal Archive paper. Real photo paper. None of this inkjet crap. You can control the image, and you can get the cost down, if you do most of the prep work yourself (very easy to do with PhotoSlop), to Just a couple of bucks or less per image for an 8x10.

That is the CHEAPEST way to go.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    I hate to say this here, but the CHEAPEST, would be to get a cheap Epson Perfection XXXX scanner (they have had 4 models so you should be able to get a cheap older on....in fact I am selling one that is in o.k. shape if interested), scan the slide, and then save it to CD for output on Frontier machine. You get Crystal Archive paper. Real photo paper. None of this inkjet crap. You can control the image, and you can get the cost down, if you do most of the prep work yourself (very easy to do with PhotoSlop), to Just a couple of bucks or less per image for an 8x10.

That is the CHEAPEST way to go.....
    I'm not familiar with "Frontier machine" Is this something that most labs have?

I have heard of problems with pixelation in labs that do digital scans and then print. I'm guessing you get the same thing here. But it is probably cheaper...

But don't you have to drop $250 or more to get the 32bit version of photoshop? Or is the photoshop lite that comes with the scanner adequate?

Thanks,

William

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fuji Frontier is a printer that takes a digital image--either direct from a digital image file on disc or from a scan of the neg or slide (the scanner is part of the Frontier system)--and projects the digital image with light onto real photographic paper (Fuji Crystal Archive--good stuff) that is processed conventionally. For small color prints (up to 8x10" or so), it doesn't look bad. Not every lab has it, but more and more do. You might check the Fuji website to see if they have a list of Frontier labs, or just look around your area to see what labs provide this service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The cheapest (not always the best) way, is just to photograph the original to make your own interneg then get the film processed as usual. For 35mm there are cheap slide copiers that aren't to bad, otherwise, use a decent light box and a macro lens on a copying stand.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look for a lab that has a Noritsu 2900 or above, it makes a full exposure on regular RA-4 paper from a digital scan or CD, they can scan 35mm and 120 and produce great results, the same film carrier that they use for negatives is used with the slides, they just change the scan from negative to positive in the software, the lab I work with and used to work for charges me $6.00 each for an 8 x 10, which is how I produce most of the prints that I sell to the gallerys around here, take into mind, they will normally crop your slide as 120 does not equate 8 x 10 in the print world, so if you have a particular crop your looking for, make sure and discuss with them before hand.

Dave Parker
    Ground Glass Specialties

PS, in responce to Ian, the same lab that I used to work for does scans for direct print to RA-4 paper up to 8 x 10, so it depends on what the lab specified when they had their machine setup.

Images
    You might try these guys. They have been recommended to me but I have not anything I thought was good enough to print lately.

http://www.theslideprinter.com
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin