Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,573   Online: 1109

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser;
    Here's a long shot. When I first started RA4 printing, I kept on getting a strong reddish/magenta cast despite altering the dials then I discovered I was changing the dials OK but had forgotten to lower the white light lever which puts the filter in place! So I was printing without filters.

Best of luck if it isn't as simple as this

pentaxuser
    Oh geez! That's definitely not it (but I did have to track down a manual for this thing to learn about all these switches and levers - my old color rigs were much simpler).

Shooter
    35mm
    I have had problems in the past with Fuji MP I think it was but never in the magenta direction. Mine was the opposite, a slight cyan cast which I couldn't get rid of even when reducing Yand M to zero. I needed to add C. I think I had been sold defective paper. New paper cured the problem.

I haven't done any RA4 for a few years but I'd prefer to use Kodak paper but it is no longer sold in sheets and cutting rolls is something I am worried about.

You seem to have done everything right. I'd want to alert the stockist about this. There is no way that Fuji paper should need this level of magenta. It seems to be unuseable as it is.

pentaxuser

PS here's another long shot that again insults your intelligence unfortunately but I am still looking for a simple and obvious cause. As you dial in the magenta I take it that the easel or paper used for focusing goes more magenta as you do this? In other words is there any possibility that the dial isn't actually increasing the magenta?

It's clutching at straws I know

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Checked that too

It's probably the enlarger. Now that I think about it, I tried some Vc paper in here a while back before I started doing color again, and I could not get high enough contrast with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A great deal depends on the film and color temperature of the exposure. At times, cyan filtration must be introduced to provide a "jumping off" plane for yellow and magenta.
    Were you using "Daylight" balanced film an taking the exposure with tungsten (or sodium, florescent, open flame (??) illumination?
    I ran a series of "Fine Art" photographs where the only source of light was provided by transparencies projected onto the model with a Hasselblad PCP80 projector. The lamp in this puppy burns at something like 3600K, but al bets would be off anyway after the light passed through the transparencies. Without the use of an analyzer (ColorStar 3000) I would have either quit or be residing in a rubber room to this day. Yes, the only way to get "balanced" was to use cyan filtration.
    I think you best bet would be to follow PE's advice and introduce an external magenta filter.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    Checked that too

It's probably the enlarger. Now that I think about it, I tried some Vc paper in here a while back before I started doing color again, and I could not get high enough contrast with it.
    Check the dual or single flitration figures supplied with the paper and use them. If each grade change doesn't produce a noticeable difference from at least grade 1 to 4 then it suggests that your filtration on the enlarger isn't working properly.

I don't know how easy the following would be but try cutting out the dichroic head filtration and use under the lens colour filters and see what filtration cuts out the magenta cast.

If it is a lot lower than the present 130 plus the extra bit that can be dialled in then it is certainly a problem with the dichroic head filters

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, I only judged the color on daylight or flash negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another thing to check is the bulb, as the bulb ages it changes colour temp and can give problems. Dichroic filters can also age (doubt that's the issue)
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the bigger Durst dichroic heads have an accessory slide in filter built into the head for these situations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin