Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,659   Online: 1192

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Ran out of magenta!

I'm trying to print some negs today on a Durst M305, which is new to me. I am using Kodak Ra/Rt without starter in a Nova Trimate at 95 degress F. The paper is Fuji CA matte. My magenta filtration is at the max of 130, and y/m booster switch is on, giving about 180M. I still have a strong magenta cast, but the Y and C are fine. The borders are white. My question is, is my enlarger head shot, or is this an effect the Fuji/Kodak mismatch? Can I compensate with a different temperature, or do I need a new enlarger (or temporary use of under-the-lens filters)? thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you print RA, you should only be using the yellow and magenta filters only. Are you doing that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There have been problems reported with CA paper. It seems that CAII paper, released in about 2006, has some problems and requires either a different developer or development time. You should look for other similar posts here and the resolution. Since I don't use CA or CAII, I did not follow the threads all that closely. Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes. I'm not new to color printing, just this combination of materials and equipment. And I guess it's been a while

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not seeing what film you are using, or are you just doing time tests? I have heard of this Magenta and also Blue with Ektar 100.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer;
    There have been problems reported with CA paper. It seems that CAII paper, released in about 2006, has some problems and requires either a different developer or development time. You should look for other similar posts here and the resolution. Since I don't use CA or CAII, I did not follow the threads all that closely. Sorry.

PE
    I've read most of those, and couldn't find anything about specific filtration problems. I wish I could just go to the store and buy a box of Kodak paper!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed;
    I'm not seeing what film you are using, or are you just doing time tests? I have heard of this Magenta and also Blue with Ektar 100.
    Superia 400, developed in Rollei C41. The same problem occurred with lab-processed Fuji pro stuff, so I think I can eliminate that as a variable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a CC 50 M filter and add it to your light path. Get more than one, just in case. Then you can go 100M total greater than you can now. Also, use of a fresh filter will tell you if your enlarger filtration is bad.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's a long shot. When I first started RA4 printing, I kept on getting a strong reddish/magenta cast despite altering the dials then I discovered I was changing the dials OK but had forgotten to lower the white light lever which puts the filter in place! So I was printing without filters.

Sounds ridiculous I know but as it was new to me I had got so "het-up" that I had simply forgotten to put the filters back in place. I must have printed about 10 prints raising the magenta each time until I was tearing my hair out before I took a break, calmed down and suddenly I spotted that the white light lever was still up.

This may not be what has happened but it is funny how the brain can have a blind spot when things go wrong.

Best of luck if it isn't as simple as this

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer;
    Get a CC 50 M filter and add it to your light path. Get more than one, just in case. Then you can go 100M total greater than you can now. Also, use of a fresh filter will tell you if your enlarger filtration is bad.

PE
    That's my plan for tomorrow. In the meantime, I put a cheapo plastic multigrade filter on top of the neg carrier and it seems to be doing the trick, but I've had to introduce cyan filtration now...so I'll definitely be getting those real filters tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin