Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,473   Posts: 1,644,240   Online: 1028

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak single use E-6, wondering differences in CD times

I have processed all my rolls using 'small tank processor' part of documentation, even though I have rotated the sheet film tank manually in the water bath.
    For roll films I have used the kodaks suggested inversion pattern.

Now as I have been using and testing my DIY rotation processor, I realized that the instructions for temperatures and times are somewhat different for rotatary processing and small tank processing (I guess that my manual rotation has been close to rotary process).

First think that I wonder is the temperature tolerances. For small tank processing the temperature of reversal bath is between 35 to 40 degree celsius but for rotary it's 38 degree +/- 1 degree.

Why? Is the only reason to keep rotary processor user's from changing temperature setting for reversal bath or is there some remarkable reason?

The another and more interesting is the lenght of color developing phase. For small tanks it is 6:00 but for rotary processor it is only 4:00.

This is a bit confusing.. The shorter time for rotary processor could be due the continuous agitation, but then the length of first developer should be also different as it's the most important step.

Now with the rotary processor, should I go for 4:00 color developing time or use my old 6:00 which has worked well with manual rotation (the speed varying around 30-60 rpm).

ps. the Kodak's documentation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIRC it's for reducing CD oxidation which happens easily in rotary processor with small solution volume, large solution surface area to air and continuous agitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Color Developer is a process to completion. You are better off doing it for longer than shorter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used the 4 minute time in my jobo with the Kodak single use E-6 cube. Works great for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks!
    Going with 4 minutes.

Shooter
    35mm
    I noticed just a few moments ago (before reading this thread) that also the E-6 kit KI90 by Ornano suggests, for the colour developer, 4' in rotary processors instead of 6' as given in the instruction sheet.

Also they say, when using rotary processors "Dilute the reversal bath to 60% of the concentration used for a conventional processing".

Times and temperatures for the other baths are the same for rotary processors (web page) and conventional processing (instruction sheet).

Fabrizio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin