Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,517   Online: 1047

Shooter
    35mm

Old film not a loss

Well I accidentally amazed myself today. About 4 months ago, I brought in an old Pentax IQ Zoom P&S that I found out in my garage. It had been sitting on a shelf for a number of years. I popped in a new battery and the camera came to life, so I snapped off the remaining shots that were left on the film.

I figured the film was toast, since it had sat in the camera for a number of years, freezing in the winter (good), roasting in the summer (bad). I removed the film and set it aside.

Today, when gathering film to take in for processing, I mistakenly grabbed that roll instead of another that I intended to take. When I got the photos back, I was initially very confused, as I did not remember shooting the first few. When I came to shots of a vacation I had taken and an event I had attended, I was amazed. The colors were superb!!! This film had to be at least 14 years old since my nephew, who was on the vacation with me, was about 16 at the time. He just had his 30th birthday!!!!

I'm pretty certain this was Kodak Gold 200.

Guess I won't be writing off old film anymore.

Shooter
    35mm
    Old/expired film is amazing to use in my opinion. During high school the photography department would sometimes get a box load of expired film the camera shop in town could no longer sell and so us photography students would raid the box. You're right, the colours come out superb, and I've only used film that's been expired for a couple of years, so film that 14 years old must look amazing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old film can be great or terrible, depending on lots of factors. I haven't had any old ones come out that great. Last year, I found a roll of 110 that was shot with one of those cheap cameras you got for sending in Kellog's box tops in the late 80s. That roll was about 20 years old. It was in an attic that gets roasting hot in the summer for half of that time. I had it processed and found it was almost completely black. They were able to make very poor prints from two frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If in doubt develop old color film B/W, its dead easy with Caffenol-C I use it all of the time.

thriFthy scandihoovian.
    Last edited by Removed Account2; 10-15-2010 at 08:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Prestmo View Post
    If in doubt develop old color film B/W, its dead easy with Caffenol-C I use it all of the time.

thrithy scandihoovian.
    Erik, What ???

" thrithy scandihoovian " Translation Please ...

Are you drinking the Caffenol ?
    I guess, that's how Camera 7 got " misplaced ".

I'm Just Saying ...

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I edited alredy, there was a little F missing in there, single letters are har to keep track of, remember your former vice-president that had trouble with the "e"s? potratoe, wasn't it?

thriFty scandihoovian, far too thrifty to drink his caffenol, at least until the films are developed and in the fixer!
    (hey there's an idea, the fixer.......)

:-))

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erik, if I don't crack your nuggets who will ???
    Mrs. Prestmo ... or your mother-in-law ?

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found a roll of Kodacolor VR 1000 in the bag of camera gear I received the other day so I think I will just have to shoot it and see what it does.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    Erik, if I don't crack your nuggets who will ???
    Mrs. Prestmo ... or your mother-in-law ?

Ron I've had two M-I-L's didn't get along with the first, nor her daughter, but the second one is out of this world! She is the kindest woman in the world, after my now departed mother.

Angels walk on this earth.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin