Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,113   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Supra III - Is that for high contrast negatives?

A quick question for experts here. B&H has some rolls of outdated Supra III. I'm looking for optical paper to print some high-contrast negatives. Will this paper work for that purpose?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hardly an expert answer, but I have a few 12x16" darkroom prints on Supra III from DM 100 Paradies 35mm film shot on a cloudy day. Processed in Tetenal 3-part dev, vinegar stop and 2-part blix at 35ºC in a drum. If the scans can give you an idea of what to expect from lower-contrast negatives, I can post them tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as I know, it was just the standard grade RA-4 paper that Kodak was calling their product at the time. I am not aware that the line had any sort of high contrast, although they did have a portra line come out either while the Supra III was still the active name, or just after, that was a lower contrast product.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you guys. I guess I should explain better. A couple of months ago I bought a small box of Supra III paper from craigslist. Yesterday I printed a roll of film on it and I really liked the result - nice shadow detail, contrast and color are just right for my taste. On the top of the box, it stated "Supra III paper. For High Contrast." That's why I was wondering what does it mean - do they mean the final prints have high contrast, or was the paper designed for high contrast negatives? Also, if I buy the Supra III from B&H, will it be the same paper?

Your eternally confused,
    Eugene.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You're welcome, Eugene. The three boxes I'm using right now are only marked "Supra III" and are made in England, which is where I got them from.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Supra endura (which has been replaced by Supra VC this past year) replaced supra iii years ago. That paper is long out of date and has most definitely turned by now. However, if you like your results then who can argue?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frotog,

I understand the story. That was the main reason I was asking. The weird thing is that some more recent outdated Supra Endura that I have is much more yellowish while this box of Supra III looks just perfect. Anyway, I have ordered the roll from B&H and should have it in my hands tomorrow. I will post here how this roll turns out. Push comes to shove, I'm out of $30. As they say, you can't win if you don't play ;-)

Eugene.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anikin,
    did you get any info on the expiration date? I couldn't find it and I guess would need to call B&H.

Wish they had wider sizes I would maybe risk some.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce,

I don't know the expiration. I'm sure it's weeeeell past. As soon as it arrives, I will let you know. That's assuming I can figure it out. I'm always having trouble finding expiration date on Kodak's boxes.

Eugene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin