Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,843   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

URGENT!!!: 3 bath to 6bath color developer swapping. Is it possible?

Ok I have a problem. I am processing e6 in a phototherm sidekick and currently use tetanal 3 bath kit. I am in the process of switching to a fuji 6 bath kit but ran out of the 3 bath color developer early. I have the chemistry for the 6 bath kit already but havent fully set it up. Is there a way I could use the fuji color developer with starter with the 3 bath tetanal kit?

sorry for marking urgent. I have rolls due today...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably. The Blix vs Bleach/Fix is the only thing different between the 3 and 6 bath AFAIK. Some of the processes might rely on chemical carryover (i.e. a small amount of the previous chemical step being left on the film), so no guarantees. Oh check the reversal step- if the 3 bath's reversal is integrated in the color developer somehow then it might not work. The 6-bath should go 1st developer, reversal, color developer. If the 3 bath is different it won't work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The method of reversal is different and may play a role in this!

I cannot answer with personal experience though, only in theory. Sorry.

PE

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps PE can comment...is there any problem using light reversal in the event the color developer also contains reversal agents? One would think light reversal could always be used in any circumstance.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tetenal E-6 Colour Developer from the 3-bath kit doesn't require a reversal bath or light reversal.

Tetenal instructions here - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/6...-bath-kit.html

ie: therefore with Fuji, use the reversal bath, or do a reversal to light (after wash after first dev)
    Last edited by Athiril; 10-21-2010 at 01:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You still have to supply Formalin somehow.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You still have to supply Formalin somehow.

PE
    Would he be any worse off? The 3-bath kit he was using doesn't have a stabiliser.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E6 requires formalin in some form or another. How it is supplied, in a pre-bleach or in a stabilizer is not important. The fact is that it must be present to prevent dye fade.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    E6 requires formalin in some form or another. How it is supplied, in a pre-bleach or in a stabilizer is not important. The fact is that it must be present to prevent dye fade.

PE

IIRC the tetenal 3-bath (first dev, colour dev, blix ) has no formalin, hence he shouldn't be worse off with another colour developer, his slides will still fade like before, not ideal, but not putting him in a worse position.

Unless I'm wrong about the tetenal kit, but then the formalin would need to be present in the tetenal colour developer (the component he needs to replace) for him to be worse off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tetenal's "3-bath" is actually a 4-bath kit and includes formalin in the final rinse. At least this was the case last time I used it a few years ago. They just cannot count above three .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin