Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,277   Online: 817

Shooter
    Medium Format

would it be worth it?

Hello --Would it worth my time to pick up a copy of "Simplified Color Processing Formulas " by Pat Dignan? I've heard him mentioned around , but how well do his formulas work?
    Thanks

R Paul

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Finding the chemical components is increasingly difficult owing to hazmat fees and restrictions by suppliers, viz. many will no longer sell to individuals and require a Dunn & Bradstreet listing to open a commercial account. The cost of quality components is skyrocketing as well. Yes, there are alternative formulae that work quite well (see threads posted here), with the caveat that these are not official chemistry and cannot therefore be guaranteed to produce the same level of archival result. That said, in my experience the results are sufficient to expect my decades-old negatives to outlive me by a considerable amount.

Many of the formulae given by Dignan address long discontinued materials. Today, only C-41 and E-6 remain in the market and it is not necessary to seek out a copy of Simplified Color Processing Formulas. Bear in mind that many of the 3rd party chemistries, e.g. not Fuji and not Kodak, are in fact alternatives to the official processing chemistry.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Medium Format

it is worth it?

Apparently not

I do know how hard it is to get almost any sort of chemical these days. Even the shipping costs are way,way higher than say, twenty years ago. I was lucky enough to order some stuff from Sigma thru my former employer, but that's gone along with the job. So I'm glad I didn't pick it up and waste time running about trying to get impossible items for formulas that may not work.
    I'll stick with you fellows over here

r paul

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin