Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,386   Online: 1094

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AG Photographic reported that they "believe" that it's been discontinued -- so at least they cannot get it from Kodak anymore, so they replaced it with FujiHunt kits.

I was really sure I had read the discontinuation notice from Kodak website, but cannot find it now! Maybe it was just a (bad) dream...

All I can find is just a random quote apparently from "Kodak", saying: "the Kodak Professional E-6 5L Kit was discontinued and is no longer available. This decision was based on the lack of sales of this product. We continue to offer the 10-liter sizes of the Kodak E-6 Chemicals through most dealers of Kodak Professional products. Please be aware that you would also need to use the 1st, CD and Bleach Starters when making your working tank solutions." This quote is from a Finnish photography forum but does not state source, just "Kodak".

Apparently, at the same time there was a rumor of Fuji Hunt E6 kits discontinued at the Large Format Forum, but that, at least, is not true! They are readily available at least in Europe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It has been removed from Adorama website where I used to order it but that certainly isn't a 100% indication or verification it has been discontinued.

Usually if it is still available it will let you purchase one and they will ship when they get them in stock.

Uniquephoto in Joisy (that's in the USA ) recently has listed these as out of stock. Again, not any indication of real availability but the evidence is mounting.

I thought I read somewhere they were being discontinued IN THE US but I don't want to start any rumors :/
    I'm sure there are some still in the supply line.

Keep in mind what gets discontinued in the US may not apply anywhere else.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warren,

-) Several manufacturers offer E-6 kits for 5L working solutions. Naming them makes no sense as shipping to where in the world you might be located might be costly.
    -) Before stocking several of those kits you might rather buy a small professional kit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is the full text of the email (which also appears above), including the signature of the sender:

Re: R.I.P. Kodak E6 Kits
    Well I have confirmation from Kodak that they are in fact discontinued.

Kodaks response to my email inquiry:

"Dear Tony,

Yes, the Kodak Professional E-6 5L Kit was discontinued and is no longer available. This decision was based on the lack of sales of this product. We continue to offer the 10-liter sizes of the Kodak E-6 Chemicals through most dealers of Kodak Professional products. Please be aware that you would also need to use the 1st, CD and Bleach Starters when making your working tank solutions.

Please let us know if you have future questions on this or other of our Kodak Professional products.

Sincerely,

Peter V.
    Kodak Professional
    Technical Support
    800-242-2424 ext. 19"

The website where this appeared is:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=65580&page=2

Thanks, AgX -- I believe the 5L kit we are discussing is considered a "professional" kit. Are you aware of another "small" professional kit from Kodak? Google didn't help on this one.

Warren N

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warren, with professional kits I meant those kits starting at 6 x 5L working solution each (just to give one example, maybe there are smaller kits out there).
    Sorry for having been ambiguous.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by warrennn View Post
    Re: R.I.P. Kodak E6 Kits
    Well I have confirmation from Kodak that they are in fact discontinued.

Kodaks response to my email inquiry:

"Dear Tony,

Yes, the Kodak Professional E-6 5L Kit was discontinued and is no longer available. This decision was based on the lack of sales of this product. We continue to offer the 10-liter sizes of the Kodak E-6 Chemicals through most dealers of Kodak Professional products.

[...]
    From what I read it should be clear that Kodak E-6 kits have not been discontinued at all.

A commercial decision has been made to sell this product only in 10 litres kits. The 5 litres kit will not be made available any more.

So no need to stock 5 litres kits for the future, and no need to spread unsubstantiated rumours.

Fabrizio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As I read the email from Kodak, they are not selling 10L kits but only individual chemicals which allow one to make 10 liter working solutions (the comment on needing starters is pretty conclusive -- these are not used in the kits). Unfortunately, as someone in the large format thread has calculated, the cost per 5 liters of working solution would be about twice the cost of the 5L kit. (I refuse to respond to the comment on "unsubstantiated rumors").

AgX, do you know of any larger kits (30 liter, as you suggest) made by Kodak? The only "kit" made by Kodak, as far as I know, is the discontinued 5L one. For larger amounts of material, one is expected to go the starter/replenisher route with individual chemicals.

By "kit", I mean all of the chemicals assembled in a single package with relatively simple procedures to generate the final solutions. Some people object to using "starters", which require precise measuring of very small amounts of material (using a hypodermic syringe should make this fairly easy...). Kits larger than 5L would be very nice, but I am not aware of any.
    Last edited by warrennn; 11-16-2010 at 04:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not store your stockpile in the fridge. The developer can crystallize, and I don't see how it would make the chemicals last any longer anyhow.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    From what I read it should be clear that Kodak E-6 kits have not been discontinued at all.

A commercial decision has been made to sell this product only in 10 litres kits. The 5 litres kit will not be made available any more.

So no need to stock 5 litres kits for the future, and no need to spread unsubstantiated rumours.

Fabrizio
    The OP was correct in stating that the Kodak 5L E-6 kit is discontinued. Additionally, the chemicals sold to make up 10L do not come in kits, as you stated. What is your beef?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warren, you are right concerning the designation "kit". But as the different chemistries offered in larger volumes form kind of `families´ I resorted to the term kit there also.
    But I do not understand your penchant for getting everything complete in a box.

In case those small amounts you are seeking are not available you either,

-) have to resort to small kits from other manufacturers

-) use instead lager containers, in this case you have to order the concentrates apart (not a kit). That could still be cheaper than buying several of small kits on reserve as you considered too. For Kodak chosing the right component may be difficult due to their (to my mind) confusing listing. Which manufacturer you choose depends on what is most easily available (shipping) where you are located.
    Another issue may be the starters (where needed): these are typically sold in huge amounts. Making a starter yourself might be an outcome.
    Last edited by AgX; 11-16-2010 at 05:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin