Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,094   Online: 815

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fabrizio: Warrennn was correct. The 10 liter kit is not the same as the single use kit and, according to Kodak, the 5L kit has been discontinued. In two of your posts you referred to Warrenn's comments as "unsubstantiated rumors" or "false rumors." IMO, that's an insulting thing to say to someone who was just reporting what he had read and who was trying to help. As a matter of fact, I read the same letter that Warrennn read (and which he posted here) and that makes it substantiated and NOT a "false rumor." The 10 liter kit is much more difficult to work with than the 5L kit, especially for the home user. Frankly, I think you owe Warrennn an apology but that's just my opinion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Beef? I have none -- if you read the OP, you will see that I was asking about possible alternate approaches to E6 processing.

So far, we have two approaches: individual chemicals (twice as expensive as the Kodak kit) and 3 bath kits (possibly not as good).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warrennn View Post
    Beef? I have none -- if you read the OP, you will see that I was asking about possible alternate approaches to E6 processing.

So far, we have two approaches: individual chemicals (twice as expensive as the Kodak kit) and 3 bath kits (possibly not as good).
    ...and if you read my "beef" post, you will see that I was not talking to you, but to the guy who was being a jerk to you!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry! You are absolutely right. I should have read it more carefully.

Warren

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warrennn View Post

Warrennn: If you look at the original "beef" post, you will see that he was responding to Fabrizio, not you. He was defending your position.

Whoops! I see the misunderstanding has already been corrected.

In any case, I'm with you on this, warrnennn, and I am looking for an alternative to the 5L kit myself. Best.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Again, apologies for misreading 2F/2F's post.

AgX, I agree that the only long term solution (using Kodak chemicals) will be to buy the individual chemicals and make up solutions using starters and replenishers. One problem is the cost: someone on the large format site (I can give the link if you want) estimated the cost for 10 liters as being $267.

This makes 10 L of many solutions (and much more for some others) and is much more costly, per liter, than the 5L kits. It might make it uneconomical to use unless one established a re-use policy, like the professional labs (using replenishers, etc.) This is beginning to sound complicated, but it is worth considering if one is devoted to E6 (as I am).

Cheers,

Warren N

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 5L kit was great. It was only fifty bucks, with no monkeying with starters, replenishers, etc. I ran through my developer twice, using the second run through for less important stuff, and ran through a third time if I had any cross processing to do. I have three stockpiled, but one is kind of old and has a big "iceberg" in the developer, so I plan to take a blender to it and use it for cross processing. They used to have it on the shelf at Freestyle, and Samy's could always special order it. I don't shoot enough E-6 to warrant a replenished system and large volumes. The 5L kit was the perfect solution for me, and was very cost effective. The 10L batches may be OK for me if they are mixed a liter or two at a time, and the concentrates are decanted as they are used up.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    By the way, regarding low temperature storage of e6 chemicals (in a fridge), Rob Landry reports excellent results in *freezing* 1L containers of the mixed chemicals and thawing them before use. There are several threads on apug and photo.net describing his procedures and results. I don't know how long one can store the frozen solutions, but apparently freezing doesn't damage the materials and one would assume that it would slow down the adverse effects of oxidation.

Cheers,

Warren Nagourney

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warren, you asked for alternatives for the Kodak 5-L kit.

You do not seem to be interested in 5L kits (6 bath) by other manufacturers, nor in their larger batch offers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX
    Warren, you asked for alternatives for the Kodak 5-L kit.

You do not seem to be interested in 5L kits (6 bath) by other manufacturers, nor in their larger batch offers.
    Where could one buy other 5L kits? 6 bath. In the US without duties.

I suspect the hazmat fee is a given.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin