Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,523   Online: 1054

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, actually I am very interested in other kits of comparable quality and price to the Kodak kit.

I am sorry, perhaps I should have replied to the suggestion of the Ornano kit, but availability of these kits in the US is a problem. Even if they could be shipped, shipping, customs, and hazmat fees would probably be prohibitive, as Michael has suggested. Searching on ebay for "ornano" came up with nothing photographic.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did not speak about the USA, Michael.
    But there are still a lot of chemistry manufacturers worldwide. I shall not bother to look them all up for E-6 and check availibilty and then hear something like "But I rather would buy local."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I confess that I was being US-centric in my original post. It is unfortunate that the availability of quality e6 processing materials is very limited in the US.

Warren N

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warrennn View Post
    By the way, regarding low temperature storage of e6 chemicals (in a fridge), Rob Landry reports excellent results in *freezing* 1L containers of the mixed chemicals and thawing them before use. There are several threads on apug and photo.net describing his procedures and results. I don't know how long one can store the frozen solutions, but apparently freezing doesn't damage the materials and one would assume that it would slow down the adverse effects of oxidation.

Cheers,

Warren Nagourney
    Hi, Warren.

You should take a gander at this current APUG post as well: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...chemistry.html.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting. I wonder what the difference between ZoneIII's and Rob's procedures were? Was Rob merely lucky or where they doing things differently?

Warren N

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ...and if you read my "beef" post, you will see that I was not talking to you, but to the guy who was being a jerk to you!
    Man, why this sudden show of stupidity?

Read the thread again. The OP said that "apparently" the kit was discontinued. I gave my suggestion (maybe he can find an Ornano kit). The OP again said the source of this "rumour" (his wording) was a letter appeared in some forum.

Being interested in anything being discontinued, I asked to know the exact wording of the source. So the OP reported the post.

Now, the way I read the post, the kit was still in production, only in a different cut. So I recommended not to post unsubstantiated rumours. There is nothing offensive in this.

Somebody then said that no, the chemistry sold in 10L cut is different from the chemistry sold in 5L cut. I did not know this, fine to know.

There is no need to insult anybody, and there is no need to feel insulted when one is not insulted at all. Relax.

Fabrizio

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as the Ornano material is concerned, the site is www.ornano.it. which also has an English version. Ornano was bought by CPAC so you might find their product in the US, maybe, distributed under the CPAC name or under another brand name of the CPAC group.

The kit I use, KI 90, is one-shot and is available also as single baths.

Fabrizio

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by warrennn View Post
    By the way, regarding low temperature storage of e6 chemicals (in a fridge), Rob Landry reports excellent results in *freezing* 1L containers of the mixed chemicals and thawing them before use. There are several threads on apug and photo.net describing his procedures and results. I don't know how long one can store the frozen solutions, but apparently freezing doesn't damage the materials and one would assume that it would slow down the adverse effects of oxidation.

Cheers,

Warren Nagourney
    Warren, I suppose that varies with the specific chemical.

I spoke some months ago with Marco Berti, who makes customer support at Ornano, and I pestered him with many newbie questions regarding their kit.

Among the questions there was the one regarding if it was sensible to freeze the solutions, and he said "absolutely no" in unambiguous terms.

This does not mean that some different chemistry might not withstand this treatment. But before doing this, I would phone customer support and ask.

Fabrizio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Apparently, at the same time there was a rumor of Fuji Hunt E6 kits discontinued at the Large Format Forum, but that, at least, is not true! They are readily available at least in Europe.
    Matt at AG Photographic said that the 3 Bath Fuji Hunt was in the process of being discontinued. Apparently one particular chemical in there which they're nolonger wanting to use (Don't know if thats legal or just company policy).
    The 6 bath Fuji will continue, although its nearly double the price of the old kodak kits. Tetinal 3 baths will also continue, although thats a little more expensive than the Fuji Hunt.

Shooter
    35mm
    Regarding the Kodak 10L product being different from 5L product, on the basis that it requires starter and replenisher, I would contact Kodak to see if it is possible to use it as one-shot without starter and replenisher.

In fact, to my knowledge, the starter-replenisher routine is required only for the (repeated) use of high-concentration baths. If you use one-shot baths, the same chemistry might work without any starter-replenisher.

I say this because the only chemistry I bought so far is, as I said, the Ornano KI90, the "kit" for E6 which can be used as one-shot solution in rotary processors.
    For this very same kit, Ornano also sells starter and replenisher. For instance for the first developer you have:

I 90: first development;
    In 90: Integratore primo sviluppo (replenisher);
    IS 90: Starter first development;

If you buy the "kit" you only get I 90.

http://www.ornano.it/pdf/Listini/LIS...%202008%29.pdf
    (page 11)

So I would not be surprised at all if the chemistry in the Kodak 10L kit was the same as the 5L kit or at least if it was at least usable as one-shot solution without much fuss, like the 5L kit.

Fabrizio

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin