Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,838   Online: 799

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    woah Duncan,
    thanks for that painstaking compilation.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This situation is miserable. I just bought a Tetenal 6 bath E-6 kit from a local photo store because no one had the Kodak kit in stock. It worked great but I can find no mention of it on the net. Tetenal product # 109342

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only the 3-bath kits are to be found at Tetenal. (maybe a website error though)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite honestly if a reseller still won't ship this then the whole thead is useless.

I must have driven through NYC 30 times in the past 5 years, but always on a Saturday.

The advice to manufacturers is if the resellers won't ship it, we cannot buy it.

There's demand out there, and I would have been willing to pay an extra charge. As I said earlier hundreds of miles one way would have cost me far more in gasoline than a $50 surcharge.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From Digital Truth website there are Kodak E-6 chemicals available in larger quantity. With $550 we can buy 8x5L (40L) E-6 chemicals by following calculations. Please let me know if this looks right.

Kodak Process E-6 Chemicals

E6 First Dev: 8313611 First Dev Repl, Process E-6, to make 10L (case of 4) $79.99 (40L)
    E6 Reversal Bath: 1123611 Reversal Bath Repl, Process E-6, to make 10L (case of 12) $89.99 (120L)
    E6 Color Dev: 8372542 Color Dev Repl, Process E-6, to make 5 gal (2 Cases) $79.98 (40L)
    E6 Bleach: 1038660 Pre-Bleach and Repl, Process E-6AR, to make 50 gal $99.99 (200L)
    E6 Fixer: 1545466 Fixer Repl, Process E-6, to make 10L (case of 6) $59.99 (60L)
    E6 Final Rinse: 8140279 Final Rinse Repl, Process E-6, to make 10L (case of 12) $46.99 (120L)

Subtotal: $456.93
    Shipping cost: $100.64
    Total: $557.57

For $557 we have 40L for two developers. Enough to make 8x5L E-6 kits. The rest 6 chemicals are 120L, 200L, 60L, and 120L. Took out 40L from each we have 80L, 160L, 20L, and 80L left and worth $190. So 8x5L kit costs $367.
    Each 5L kit costs about $46.

In this case, the discontinue of Kodak 5L E-6 Kit causes inconvenience but it is not impossible to use Kodak E-6 chemicals, unless I am wrong somewhere.
    Last edited by bwfans; 12-15-2010 at 03:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I believe you also need to involve some starters for the 2 developers and bleach, at least according to their publication. Not sure exactly what effect it would have to just run with replenishers only from the start.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz
    I believe you also need to involve some starters for the 2 developers and bleach, at least according to their publication. Not sure exactly what effect it would have to just run with replenishers only from the start.

Duncan
    Therein is the problem. Nobody knows. And you can't find out.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

DKT

i'm no e6 expert, but i did run it a lot in wing lynch machines. seems like if you mix up without the starters, process control might be problematic. not sure what all it would cause exactly, but i think the first developer would run hot and probably mess up the speed for one thing. also, as the stock solutions age in the larger sizes since you're mixing up one-shot, seems like if that stock oxidizes and loses activity, that the overall process control would be harder to deal with over time, since the chemistry wouldn't match up to any of the kodak spec's. it might not matter to some people--we always ran control strips with our E6 and attempted to get it as close to the aim points as possible for one-shot. it wasn't the same thing as the replenished chemistry because the control measures were so limited.

if i remember right from when kodak reformulated over to pre-bleach and final rinse (from conditioner and stabilizer)-the 1 gallon kits at that time changed to the newer 5 liter ones. the differences between the kits and the larger sizes, besides the replenishers and starters, was that the 5 liter kit no longer needed to have the reversal bath diluted to 60% and had some pH tweaking in the color dev doing away with having to add sodium hydroxide. that was the big selling point besides the smaller size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Correction: I missed including the cost of three starter chemicals, and the bleach which is the most expensive part of E-6 chemicals. The cost of bleach in my earlier post is actually the cost of pre-bleach.

Now it is clear the alternatives for Kodak E-6 5L kit are usually more expensive and more difficult to deal with due to the larger quantities.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unique photo out in new jersey has quite a bit of E6 chemistry (I ended up buying one bottle from Adorama because they were out). The 10L components aren't cheap, but they have them and they are very helpful indeed. I think they spent twenty minutes hunting down the various bottles on my list , and they were actually happy to do it. I do believe they ship as well
    They are also open on Saturday
    http://store.uniquephoto.com/e/index.php/

I ended up collecting everything but the bleach, as it cost as much as the rest of the kit, and ended up using an alternative one instead . Mixing is a pain because you have to make stock solutions from the bottles and then use those to make the actual working solutions. Thing is you end up with 1,140 ml of a couple of stock solutions, and it's like gee,couldn't you guys figure out how to make it come out to an even liter.
    I actually worked out a chart that did just that
    rob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin