Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,185   Online: 982

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Suggested replacement for Kodak E6 kit

Apparently Kodak has discontinued the 5 liter single-use 6 bath E6 kit. Can anyone suggest a good quality replacement? I have heard that the 3 bath kits are not as good as the Kodak.

I assume I can purchase the Kodak chemicals separately; are there reasonable substitutions I can make? For example, can I use another first developer or fixer? I noticed that Adorama sells some of the materials in fairly large quantities.

I have been enjoying the Kodak kits and have enough left for about 15 rolls of 120 film. After this runs out (about a year or two at my current rate) I would like to find something with equivalent quality.

Thanks.

Warren Nagourney

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The kit is still listed on Kodak's website here http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...18/13629/13815

It is still seems to be for sale as well at B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rocessing.html
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the Ornano kit for E-6 "KI90", a single-use six-bath kit suitable for rotary processors, and I am satisfied with the product.
    The kit contains concentrated for 5 litres of each diluted solutions.
    Depending on where you live, it can be easy or hard to find. In Italy is probably much more common than any other E-6 chemistry.
    I bought my kit from an eBay shop, eBay user: Westernphotonline, which also sells abroad, but you should check costs and restrictions for hazardous materials first. You can also buy the single components separately.

The final bath in the kit is a "stabilizer", it contains formalin so it is suitable for old films or for modern non-Kodak and non-Fuji films.

Fabrizio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&H will still get these for you but they will not ship.
    I'm about to bribe my buddie up in the City to go over there and send me maybe 2 kits.

I've looked at assembling the chemicals individually but that is even more of a nightmare than figuring out sources for C41 (bleach being the hardest to find)

Adorama will ship and has some but not all the chemicals and sometimes will stock part A of a solution but no part B or C if needed.
    Major PITA.

I think the best bet is to look to a minilab supplier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Calumetphoto still has 5L kit in stock. I just received one from them a few weeks ago and it looks like a fresh kit from Kodak. I wonder where this rumor
    is coming from?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Calumet photo is also a great place to get stuff
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses.

My source for the "rumor" is a letter from Kodak which was posted on a large format website -- the claim is that the demand for these kits is low.

Apparently, Glazer's (in Seattle, where I live) still can get some kits -- I have reserved the one they have in the store and will buy some more when they get them in.

I guess the best policy for me would be to buy as many kits as I can and store them in my downstairs refrigerator. I think 5 or 6 kits should be enough for the next 10 to 20 years, after which film availability might be a problem. Each kit develops 10 rolls of 120 film.

Even though the kits are supposedly for "single use", has anyone tried to use the various replenishers to allow re-use of the chemicals?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warrennn View Post
    Even though the kits are supposedly for "single use", has anyone tried to use the various replenishers to allow re-use of the chemicals?
    From the description on the Calumet website (which I think is just taken from the Kodak literature):

Approximately 10 to 12 square feet of film (about twenty 135-36 rolls) can be processed through a 5-litre sink line using this chemistry in a batch mode. After this much film has been processed, you can increase your first developer time by 20 to 30 seconds and your bleach time from 6 to 10 minutes to process another 5 to 6 square feet of film (about ten 135-36 rolls) with satisfactory sensitometric results.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just received one from Calumet as well. Mine was back-ordered, so it wasn't just sitting in the warehouse. It also looks quite fresh.

Shooter
    35mm

My source for the "rumor" is a letter from Kodak which was posted on a large format website -- the claim is that the demand for these kits is low.
    Could you please post the link of the large format website so that we can read the exact wording?
    Saying that demand for something is low is quite different from saying that a product has been discontinued. And if people spread those false rumours, other people will believe them and products will ultimately be discontinued. May I suggest not to spread any kind of "rumours".

I guess the best policy for me would be to buy as many kits as I can and store them in my downstairs refrigerator. I think 5 or 6 kits should be enough for the next 10 to 20 years, after which film availability might be a problem. Each kit develops 10 rolls of 120 film.
    Before planning a bulk purchase to be preserved in fridge I would check the technical documentation regarding storage temperature. The chemistry I use (Ornano E-6, one-shot) asks for a storage temperature above 12 °C. The kit by Kodak should not be radically different.

Fabrizio

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin