Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,446   Posts: 1,597,065   Online: 826

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Are you in the US? I've never seen Royal for sale here.

Have you got a big darkroom? I found cutting down from rolls to be a huge pain in a tiny darkroom - very difficult to get square edges and lots of rhombus shaped paper!
    Royal is available in the UK!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollei fan View Post
    Perhaps precutting the roll and putting the sheets under pressure would take care of the curl even with thicker base (Royal)?
    Nope, I have tried this. I fill 5x7 boxes, tape them shut, and stack other paper on them in the freezer for up to a year, and the things still come out of the boix curved, perhaps a bit less than they went in.

This stuff drove me to put a vaccuum easel into service; that solves the problem, but the darkroom session is not so peacefull with the vaccuum motor running intermittently.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    would it be feasible to counter-roll it before cutting, to counter the inherent curve? e.g. re-roll the whole roll backwards and leave it that way for a bit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you ever fought with rolls of paper in total darkness? It is a challenge enough for me to pull it off the reel and into the paper cutter, and then get it off it's support spindle and then back into its storage bag. The though of reroll is beyond the capabilities of the total darkness space I have, particularly when the worst offender is the 12" x250' rolls near the middle to center.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    Royal is available in the UK!

Matt
    Matt, where from? Do you mean wholesale?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format

no I haven't

I haven't had to deal with rolls yet. I have several boxes of endura stockpiled for the next year or more. But I hear you - it sounds like a pain in the ass to say the least! Indeed, re-rolling might be quite the chore. Would need some sort of jig to do it, probably. Maybe if/when I get to that point I'll fabricate something. Hopefully I can still find recently-out-of-date Endura in sheets for a while yet.

Is the hassles of Royal/edge in rolls worth it vs. cut sheets of Crystal Archive or whatever the fuji paper is called?

-Ed

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Is the hassles of Royal/edge in rolls worth it vs. cut sheets of Crystal Archive or whatever the fuji paper is called?
    The question we'll all have to come to terms with next year, I think.

Incidentally, how are you all storing your colour paper? I've got 6 boxes of Endura left, they all expire 01/11. Mine are being kept in a cool (~15C) cupboard, I hope I can squeeze life out of them until maybe March/April.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have mine in a 60F or so basement, with humidity controlled to about 50%. I have thought of putting some in the freezer. It will last quite a long time. I printed some Supra II from 1994 the other day, it was a bit too yellow/green but otherwise almost usable. I used some Supra III last night and it printed wonderfully. It was before they put expiration dates on it but I am sure it's expired. I think it's good for at least a couple years beyond expiration date, and longer than that if frozen. P.E. could probably weigh in with more info on that.

I have enough to last at least another year or more I think: 600 11x14 supra, 250-300 8x10/8.5x11 Portra endura, 250 10x12 supra, about 200-250 20x24/24x30/16x20 Portra/supra (which I can't even use until I refurbish my CP-51 processor). Plus more probably that I am forgetting...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Ed, I can calm down a little with printing maybe - I'd been going hard at it printing colour almost every night to use up my paper stocks, going back to old negs to make nice hand prints, etc.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have Supra from around 2008 that is fine and I had one box with a few sheets from around 2005.
    These printed fine also. Filtration was about normal.

The glossy Edge is okay but like others mention it is thin. I have a 610ft roll of 8in that I have been using to get color experience but it definitely doesn't look as good next to Lustre Supra or Portra Endura to my eyes.

I try to keep any stock I won't be using fairly soon in the freezer but the Edge is too large and stored in my cool basement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin