Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,654   Online: 1190

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What RA4 paper for home darkroom?

I have been printing RA4 at home on an irregular basis for years. I liked Kodak Supra Endura but now it has been discontinued, so I got some Fuji Crystal Archive (sheets, lustre). I don't like it quite as much as I liked Supra Endura, however, the lustre surface isn't as pleasing and the colors seem a little less brilliant.

So I am wondering if I should try some other paper. Kodak has Ultra Endura and Royal in rolls. Has anyone printed on Royal at home? How does it compare with Supra Endura and Fuji CA? Any comments?

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps try Ektachrome Edge? It's thinner than Endura, but to my eye the colours are the same.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Perhaps try Ektachrome Edge? It's thinner than Endura, but to my eye the colours are the same.
    Thanks for your answer. From Kodak's website I read that the emulsion is the same on Edge and Royal, but Royal has a thicker base. I develope in trays, so Royal seems to me the better alternative of those. Buying a 30,5cm x78 meters roll perhaps wouldn't be a bad idea.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you in the US? I've never seen Royal for sale here.

Have you got a big darkroom? I found cutting down from rolls to be a huge pain in a tiny darkroom - very difficult to get square edges and lots of rhombus shaped paper!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have my darkroom in our garage, which is pretty crowded with stuff, but I can make more space there if I need it. I believe it is very difficult to cut paper from a roll to a perfect shape in total darkness, so a Kaiser Spectral darkroom light might be a worthwhile investment?

Shooter
    35mm
    I use one of these which hangs round my neck:
    http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/safetorch.html

If you're tray developing, perhaps oddly shaped paper is fine and you can just cut it afterwards to shape. I use a Nova Slot Processor and the shape is more critical as a clip holds the paper in the vertical position in a thin slot.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's still a fair bit of endura floating around, so I'd stock up and use that until you can't get it anymore. Even out of date paper by a few years still prints fine, even if not refrigerated, in my experience. I've stocked up on endura enough to last another year or more at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have worked my way though about 150' of a 5" wide roll of Royal. The curve is a bitch, due to the heavier than normal base. I find the contrast a bit too 'popped' for portraits, but it can work ok for most everything else. You certainly don't need to pair it up with any high contrast films.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using edge cut from rolls. It is still thick enough for tray processing (I use rotary tanks). It is thicker than single weight b&w and at 8X10 is not subject to tearing when wet like single weight b&w.
    I cut it up, put it in leftover black bags from b&w paper, and store it in 8X10 boxes. The curl disappears in the easel, and is just noticable after drying. I haven't found the curl to be a problem.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    I have been using edge cut from rolls. It is still thick enough for tray processing (I use rotary tanks). It is thicker than single weight b&w and at 8X10 is not subject to tearing when wet like single weight b&w.
    I cut it up, put it in leftover black bags from b&w paper, and store it in 8X10 boxes. The curl disappears in the easel, and is just noticable after drying. I haven't found the curl to be a problem.
    I usually print either 10x12 or 12x16, so I would prefer having a thicker base. I hadn't thought about the issue with curling. Perhaps precutting the roll and putting the sheets under pressure would take care of the curl even with thicker base (Royal)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin